Talk

Advanced search

Do/did you 'baby' your youngest child more and if so how has this affected them?

(14 Posts)
CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 25-Oct-09 23:11:58

My ds is 2 in dec but to me he is a 'baby'.When dd was the same age she was very independant and I think thats because I got pregnant again when she was 1 and pushed her on. She was out of nappies and talking fluently at 18 mths.

I still let ds have a bottle at bedtime blush and he sometimes wakes in the early morning for one too (its hard to let him cry it out when dd has to get up for school)

The main thing though is his speach,hes still very babyish though he can say very clear words -mummy,daddy,ucie (lucy)bebebca(rebecca) nite nite,no (!) chocolate (!!) cat,poo.gone,there,stuck,babbit (rabbit) fix it (bob the builder) and so on

we were out today and a little boy was chatting away at the garden centre and i commented to my sister what a good talker he was and said that he was older than ds.Sister laughed and said he was same age and she thinks i baby him to much

i must admit the thought of him getting big fills me with dread...sad

colditz Sun 25-Oct-09 23:16:06

yes I did,, and actually the result seems to have been that he did it all art his own paceanyway, rejecting bottles before I even tried to move him to a beaker, demanding pants, wanting a china plate rather than plastic - he did it at his own speed, just like his older brother, despite my nagging!

Speech is nothing to do with being 'babied', My ds1 had a speech delay (although your sson doesn't sound like he does, he sounds normal) His speech is babyish, and will probably remain babyish until, er, until he's not a bay any more!

Seriously. He's not even two.treasure these baby moments because they are soon gone.

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 25-Oct-09 23:25:43

thanks

i think everyone compares him to dd1 who can talk a glass eye to sleep and always could!

Plonker Sun 25-Oct-09 23:30:53

I wanted to baby my youngest, but she has other ideas sad

She is 2.3 and extremely independant. Similar to Colditz ds, my dd did everything at her own pace anyway, and tbh has done everything quicker than her two older sisters ...probably because she wants to be like them!

I don't think you can baby a child that doesn't want to be babied.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, your ds is still a baby - 2 short short years in this world isn't much, is it?

Just enjoy him and try not to think too much about what he should/shouldn't be doing for his age (obv excluding genuine dev delays) ...they grow up so fast, blink and you'll miss it sad

CybilWrites Sun 25-Oct-09 23:32:56

Yes I think we did/do a bit, cosequently we seem to say on a daily basis 'you are 6 years old! Not a toddler!'

cat64 Sun 25-Oct-09 23:36:25

Message withdrawn

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 25-Oct-09 23:36:26

i think when i look back at photos/times with dd at same age she seemed so much older

i love the baby stage and after all he is my last so i intend to hang onto it as long as he allows!

cheeseandeyeballsarnie Sun 25-Oct-09 23:36:28

i do a bit.resulting in him being in charge.i realise ive got to let him be a 3 year old.

ShinyAndNew Sun 25-Oct-09 23:39:17

My mum did with my youngest sister. She is a 22 y o toddler. I am doing my upmost to make sure that my two turn out nothing like her.

She cannot even go to the shop alone. And no, I'm not taking the piss. She will come to my house or our other sisters and ask us to go with her.

pranma Mon 26-Oct-09 16:41:16

I worried about one dgs aged 5.10 who still uses a sippy cup at home and talks baby talk all the time.He sucks a 'blanky' in bed and spits food back onto his plate-horrid but then I was chatting to his teacher who says he is the best reader in the class,a good footballer and very creative-he is only a baby at home where it is encouraged.His older sister has a much harder time at home and at school.I dont think d-i-l is doing T any favours at all.

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Mon 26-Oct-09 20:09:44

DS does protest as he sees dd doing things and wants to be the same as her. He refused to use his highchair and complains when I have do his nappy so i think i will try and go without them when i am off over christmas as well as ditch the dummy

TheMysticMasseuse Mon 26-Oct-09 20:17:02

dd2 is 17 months going on 4 (dd1's age). for example, she refused to be spoonfed, refuses to eat with her hands or a spoon (only a fork will do), only wants to read big children's books, wants to draw, do collage, absolutely everything dd1 does. she's literally growing up before my eyes, and it is a bit sad, although also really sweet.

i am however almost extravagantly cuddly with her whcih i am afraid i wasn't with dd1- shame on me...

BlueKangerooWonders Mon 26-Oct-09 20:25:01

I'm right with Cat64 - my youngest is way ahead of the older two, but not of my doing I think. She just gets on and does what she wants! 3 now, but she's convinced she's 7.

francaghostohollywood Mon 26-Oct-09 20:34:53

No, in many ways I didn't. Dd was very independent. She started to feed/dress/play by herself from very early on. She has always copied everything ds did, still does.
So, I didn't babied her a lot, but she's always been a very cuddly person, so yes, I still cuddle/kiss/hold her a lot and she is 5. I do the same with her older brother to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now