Talk

Advanced search

How long is it new baby, unsettled, give leeway before it turns into taking the piss?

(8 Posts)
FlameHasAnotherChick Fri 23-Oct-09 18:16:41

DS is being difficult. Not surprising - end of half term, baby born on Monday, had a bad cold, his sister has had an extra couple of nights sleeping at Gran's so he has missed her too.

He is refusing to eat anything he is given, even the stuff he has asked for. I am going with just leave it, he's clearly not hungry and its all over the place for him atm.

BUT... I know DS and I can see him playing on it long after there is actually an issue hmm. How long would you be tolerant before going back to "eat it or starve"? (Same with the inevitable playing up about going to bed).

Dogchewsonlimbsanpumpkins Fri 23-Oct-09 18:20:16

Message withdrawn

ILoveGregoryHouse Fri 23-Oct-09 18:20:20

How old is he? School age, obviously

Can your DH give him extra attention? Take him out for pizza/little chat?

FlameHasAnotherChick Fri 23-Oct-09 18:27:38

He's 3 1/2 (so preschool rather than full school).

Not giving any leeway does make sense tbh.

It is all new the acting up thing - the only thing DD did when he was born was refuse to let me do anything (bedtime etc) for 6 weeks, which wasn't altogether a bad thing!

ILoveGregoryHouse Fri 23-Oct-09 18:33:07

Well, 3.5 old enough to be deliberately difficult but he's still just a baby himself. My DS2 was this age when DS3 came along and it was hard. I think it's a case of keeping routine, maintaining rules but adding a bit of extra special attention for him - lots of kisses and cuddles. Just ignore the bad behaviour. And I know that's tough. How can DH or granny help?

CarGirl Fri 23-Oct-09 18:46:49

Congratulations, your Flameboy sure is a tough nut to crack!

Sorry mine were all too close in age to give any tips that worked for me. I have to say when newborn babies mine were all pretty much popped in the pram and sort of ignored unless they were unhappy when in eye shot of the older ones.

manamana Fri 23-Oct-09 18:56:28

Congratulations. Reminds me of a top bit of health visitor sense when ds2 was born. I was really worried about ds1 (2 and a half) and neded up giving him lots of of milk whenever he wanted so he was eating less. I went into a long explanation about my concerns and reasons why i was giving in and HV said, just stop doing it! So I did, and he wasn't that bothered when I said no. Our heads are all over the place with a new born and the guilt about shoving pfb to one side is enormous! Good luck

FlameHasAnotherChick Fri 23-Oct-09 23:05:18

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now