Talk

Advanced search

early waking for a bottle at 18months

(7 Posts)
teatank Fri 23-Oct-09 13:46:35

i have an 18 month old ds who goes to bed about 7.30 but wakes for a bottle about 4.30 i tried cc and got him to 6 but it keeps reverting back to 4.30. he doesnt actually get up till 8.30. do you think i should cut out the bottle altogether because he might be getting mixed messages. not sure what to do was hoping for some wise advice off other mums or dads thankyou

Bellared Fri 23-Oct-09 14:06:11

DS (17mo) went through this stage when he was about 14mo and I (and still do) give him a mashed up Weetabix before he goes to bed to stop him waking up at dark o'clock for a bottle. Is he at a milestone do you think and that's why he's still waking for one or just habit?

teatank Fri 23-Oct-09 14:18:27

hi bellared thanks for your advice i will try and give him some porridge before bed tonight and see if that works. i do think its out of habit. he has had a few illness's lately so hes a bit out of routine.

Bellared Fri 23-Oct-09 20:44:33

I really hope it helps, there is nothing worse and all I did was cry in the afternoon cos I was that tired. Also, I remembered this before; there is a technique called wake to sleep where you rouse the child slightly about an hour before they usually wake but not enough to fully wake them then, when they go back into deep sleep they should sleep past the time they wake. I can't remember fully what you do so you might have to search on here for it.

Let me know how you get on?

Fingers crossed!

fairimum Fri 23-Oct-09 21:03:58

DD 17 months has been doing this - we go on lay her back down hand her her 5 oz bottle and walk out, she drinks milk and goes back to sleep (took a few days of ignoring her for 10 mins or so before she went back to sleep though), she goes back to sleep utnil about6.30-7 - the waking has gradually been getting later and later and now most mornings just gets up at 6.30 now!

good luck
xx

teatank Sun 25-Oct-09 11:41:32

thanks for your advice. bellared i gave him porridge 20mins before bed and he slept til 7.30 then went back to sleep till 9 after a bottle. yipheeee

Bellared Sun 25-Oct-09 12:55:52

Teatank, I'm so pleased! I've thought of another thing if it does not work. What about watering down the milk ounce by ounce each night until its water then he might think 'whats the point of waking up for water I'll not bother'.

Fairimum, Sweet! Ha ha, mums will win the fight! My friends DD is the same but she is up for about 2 hours and not the few mins that your DD is!

One day we will all get some sleepwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now