Talk

Advanced search

Speech Delay - 18 months old and not (really) speaking

(6 Posts)
SouthernMeerkat Fri 23-Oct-09 13:03:38

I think I'm just looking for reassurance really - my mother is a speech therapist and so is 'qualified' to say things, and she is worrying, but my gut instinct is telling me not to worry too much.

My 18 month old boy (third child) has excellent comprehension, but is not really speaking at all. He says 'Mama', 'go', 'gaga' for Daddy, but not consistently, and that's about it. He understands everything that I say - go and get your shoes - and off he potters to get them (without me pointing). When I read him stories, he can point to things that I ask him about - ie where's the duck,cow, horse etc. He's just not speaking - and doesn't seem to want to. He's very adventurous, very interactive and smiley- can wave and point and I think that he's just concentrating on other things at the moment...or should I start getting him some help? I have got pages of exercises to do with him that my mother has given me - and I do lots of singing and nursery rhymes, but he just doesn't seem to be moving forward. I am sure that his hearing is ok.

It's new territory for me - DS1 and DD are SO verbal, and were very early, (perhaps he just can't get a word in edgeways wink!

Anyone been in the same situation and have words of wisdom - I don't even know if an ST would put him on their books at the moment.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Fri 23-Oct-09 13:05:07

My DS at 18mo had a handful of words, Mama, Dada, Doggie, Shoes - think that was about it!

Now at 23mo he has hundreds.

I would say don't worry yet, and give it another few months.

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Fri 23-Oct-09 13:10:01

I would also say don't worry, DD was a late talker, didn't really get going until about 2.5 but now at 3.5 talks non stop with a huge vocabulary.

SouthernMeerkat Fri 23-Oct-09 13:13:25

Thanks so much - I feel that there is time, but my mother (who means well) is such a worry bean, that it rubs off on me.

I think I'll stop worrying and if he's still not making progress as we get towards his two year check, I'll speak to the HV.

My mother's concern is that the new baby is due to arrive about 2 weeks after he turns 2, and he's likely to regress, so she wants him to have made significant progress by then!

Thank you again,

teatank Fri 23-Oct-09 14:35:47

hi southernmeerkat my ds is 18 months and sounds pretty much the same as yours. he has about 5 words he can say. i think this is quite normal and i wouldnt worry too much. my ds had a checkup with hv last week and they didnt seem a bit concerned.

SouthernMeerkat Fri 23-Oct-09 14:43:59

Thanks teetank - very reassuring!

I also had coffee with a friend of mine this morning who has four older, very articulate children and her fifth (boy) is only just now speaking (at almost 3) and she told me not to worry too.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now