Talk

Advanced search

tell me about your 4.5 yr ol boy please

(2 Posts)
thisisyesterday Thu 22-Oct-09 17:50:52

we're having a few issues with ds1. things i thought were just phases seem to be going on forever. things that i feel he ought to be understanding and doing socially seem to be lacking
it culminated this afternoon in me being given a bit of a talk to by his teacher see www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/847757-how-to-get-a-reticent-child-to-talk-worried-about for full story on his behaviour at school

i just can't tell whether his behaviour is normal 4.5 yr old stuff or whether there is something more to it.

one thing for example is that he just can't seem to understand that if he is doing something that is upsetting/hurting another person then he ought to stop.
he will shove a toy in my face, and i'll be telling him to stop and he will not until he is physically removed.
we had a friend to play and he was chasing her. she didn't want to be chased and was crying but he wouldn't stop. she ended up really quite hysterically crying and i had to actually drag him away from her.

it isn't that he can't empathise, because he is actually very sensitive and cries at things on the tv, or things he hears about a lot (ie, when shrek blows a frog up like a balloon and lets it go he cries because the frog will float away and never get back to his mummy)

he constantly does things he isn't allowed to. i think at his age he ought to understand by now that he isn't allowed to jump on the sofa (he has never, ever been allowed to do this), or that it isn't ok to throw a show in his brother's face.

ChunkyMonkeysMum Thu 22-Oct-09 22:04:46

Hi. I really didn't want your post to go unanswered.

I have an Autistic son who is 5.11. We had an early diagnosis because of a few odd behaviours that were picked up at nursery.

Obviously, all children, whether special needs or not, are different, so I couldn't comment on your DS, especially when I don't know him, but all I can advise is that if you are worried, then definitely see your GP. This is what I did. DS was referred to a Paediatrician, who then referred him for a second opinion. We got the dx on the 3rd visit.

Your GP will be able to either refer your DS to a Paed or to CAMHs for an assessment.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now