Talk

Advanced search

Frightened child

(8 Posts)
mummyluvsme Wed 21-Oct-09 20:27:23

My Ds(5) had a really nasty fright after accidentally seeing a hoax video on the computer. We were watching michael jackson music videos together, as Ds absolutely loves singing and dancing along, when I left him to get the front door. The next thing I heard was an almighty petrified scream followed by sobs and tears of complete distress. Since then Ds is afraid to be alone at all and panics if anything makes him jump in the slightest. My Dd (2) is picking up on his jumpiness and I don't know what to do to help them get over this 'fear'. I know I shouldn't have left him alone on the computer and I never usually do, but on this one occasion I litterally turned my back for 2 seconds and that was all it took. Any ideas of how to help?

pipWereRabbit Wed 21-Oct-09 22:00:05

Your poor DS - sounds like he got a complete fright.
Can you outline the content of the hoax video - might help us to understand what your DS found so upsetting.

TeenyTinyToria Wed 21-Oct-09 22:08:20

Was it one of those ones where a face screams out of the computer? Very scary, I don't know what to suggest sad

mrsboogie Wed 21-Oct-09 22:12:56

Oh god - I think I know the one - it starts with that stupid video of a corridor at Neverland with the double exposure on the film making it look like a ghost walking about, then a horrible monster pops up on screen with a horrible screeching noise. When I saw it the screech scared the crap out of me and my baby who was sat in the room with me. It is horrible and very scary. I am not surprised at a 5 year old being traumatised it, poor lamb.sad

He will get over it in time but I am not sure what you can do - what about pretending to purchase a magic charm or spell that he can say to himself when he feels scared? Just a little chant to take his mind of it and make him feel safe? or you could buy a friendly little figure to put in a prominent place that "keeps scary monsters away"?

LauraIngallsWilder Wed 21-Oct-09 22:17:06

We have had this, sort of
DD likes watching the TopCat theme tune on youtube at the end it sometimes automatically switches to a grim reaper sort of video shock

Could you perhaps have a computer break for a few weeks/months (whilst they are awake I mean)
then after a few weeks/months hopefully they will feel better about things

HTH

pipWereRabbit Wed 21-Oct-09 22:26:14

If it is the sort of thing described by the other posters, I'd try and talk it through with DS. Explain that it is not real. That some people like playing tricks to make other people jump - like jumping out on a friend and shouting Boo. That these people don't realise how scary it can be to get a surprise like that. And above all - it is not real.
Try and get him to tell you what is actually worrying him about what he saw.
I agree with Laura, that it might be an idea to steer clear of the computer - or go back to some very safe sites such as CBeebies for a while.

mummyluvsme Thu 22-Oct-09 10:42:33

Thank you Mrsboogie for the idea about the magic charm, may have to give it a try! Was wondering what peoples views may be on showing my Ds the video of the making of thriller? Just the part where they put on the zombie make-up mind! Not sure if it a good idea or not! I have watched it myself and can't decide whether or not it would scare him more just seeing the image again, even though it's in a different context, or whether it might help him to see that the image is made up! Would really like to discuss this before I go ahead and potentially make things a million times worse!

mummyluvsme Thu 22-Oct-09 14:04:21

Have just looked on a really useful website about helping children to cope with fear! It's got some good guidance so if anyone else ever needs it, the address is: www.liveandworkwell.com

P.s: Still interested in opinions about my video idea!hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now