Talk

Advanced search

DS trouble at school

(5 Posts)
Exasperated Wed 21-Oct-09 16:12:07

My 5 year old in Year 1 is really suffering. He moved schools in Sept and is not settling down at all, and today I have been summoned in to see the teacher to discuss his behaviour.
At home he can be delightful but at other times throw a 2 year old's tantrum over a toy he can't have.
I can see that he is absolutely shattered. He has been waking up at 6.30 since we moved house, he has always been a fantastic sleeper but we've tried later bed times and he's still waking up at 6.30, he's then waking his brother and myself so we're all totally shatterd.
His previous school said he was disruptive in the classroom and tried to diagnose him with something called "sensory integration disorder", I researched this and it was widely dismissed and seeing as it only affected children I believed it was something he would grow out of.
So really I'm asking; has anyone heard of Sensory Integration Disorder? has anyone tips for getting a 5 year old to sleep beyond 6.30, he currently goes to bed at 8.
Thanks

Mummy369 Wed 21-Oct-09 16:30:53

Have you thought about taking him to bed earlier? 8pm is quite late for a 5 yr old and if he is tired his behaviour will probably be the first thing to suffer.

CarGirl Wed 21-Oct-09 16:44:26

Do this questionnaire and if you get lots of yes' look at the website in more detail.

www.inpp.org.uk/questions/index.php

Moving house & school is a huge deal to a child he could be very very anxious about all of it and that is causing the lack of sleep etc.

I had my dd treated for sleep disorders as she had retained moro reflex, it worked and now she sleeps longer and better.

ICANDOTHAT Wed 21-Oct-09 16:45:11

I only know of it because before my son was dx with ADHD, this was also mentioned to me as many of the symptoms overlapped. Got this from medical dictionary. (I don't think it only affects children, just that it's usually discovered when you are a child) -

Sensory Integration Disorder:
oversensitivity to touch, movement, sights, or sounds
underreactivity to touch, movement, sights, or sounds
tendency to be easily distracted
social and/or emotional problems
activity level that is unusually high or unusually low
physical clumsiness or apparent carelessness
impulsive, lacking in self-control
difficulty in making transitions from one situation to another
inability to unwind or calm self
poor self concept
delays in speech, language, or motor skills
delays in academic achievement

Exasperated Fri 23-Oct-09 22:37:46

You're all great. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now