Talk

Advanced search

19month old DD will not keep her nappy on!

(15 Posts)
Ewe Wed 21-Oct-09 09:01:22

Whenever we are at home (and occasionally when we're out!) DD takes all her clothes off and tries to pull down or take off her nappy. As soon as she has done a poo she shouts poo at the top of her voice so that we can change her immediately and she sometimes does this when she has weed too. She clearly doesn't like wearing nappies.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep her clothes/nappy on? She always likes to have her shoes on though, even if she is totally naked... strange little thing!

BonsoirAnna Wed 21-Oct-09 09:03:03

Maybe she is ready for toilet training?

Ewe Wed 21-Oct-09 09:08:14

I had thought of that but isn't she a bit too young?

I had read somewhere that between two and two and a quarter is the best time to start. Have you toilet trained around this age?

BonsoirAnna Wed 21-Oct-09 09:11:17

Best is when they are showing readiness! I would try her out in pants and the potty (she is very small for a real loo) and see how you get on.

My DD didn't use the loo until much later - when she was ready.

Stayingscarygirl Wed 21-Oct-09 09:45:33

Sellotape. Seriously - we used to have a problem with one of the dses taking his nappy off at night (waayyy before he was ready for nighttime toilet training) so I used to sellotape round the nappy. It does mean you need a pair of scissors on hand at changing time.

Or you could try putting the nappy on back to front - perhaps if she couldn't reach the tabs, she wouldn't be able to take them off.

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Wed 21-Oct-09 09:47:30

Nappy on backwards and dungarees helped keep my tiny Houdini clothed

Ixia Wed 21-Oct-09 09:55:57

DD was about 22mths when she started doing this. Out of frustration I bought her a toilet seat and said if she didn't wear nappies,then that was fine, but she must use the toilet instead....so she did and that was toilet training done! I feel a bit fraudulent when friends tell me their potty training woes.

I did find that she was too small to use the booster stools, so she had to use a childs chair to climb onto the loo.

belgo Wed 21-Oct-09 09:56:01

She could be ready for a potty. My girls were potty trained at 23 months and 19 months, it certainly solved the problem of dd1 always taking off her nappy!

elliepac Wed 21-Oct-09 09:58:56

Am watching with interest as DD (20m) has a tendency to do the same thing. Have wondered about potty training but she just seems too ickle! Especially now it's getting colder I swear by vests/bodysuits under clothes or at bedtime because she can't get the poppers undone. We had one nasty experience where i put her to bed in pj's and went to her in the morning to find her with nappy off and poo all over her and the walls!

HolidaysQueen Wed 21-Oct-09 10:13:53

Any time from 18 months for potty training i think, but depends on the child. T may be ready from what you say. I'll be watching with interest, Ewe, as my DS has recently started to show awareness of when he poos and wees and is sometimes dry after naps, and always says "mummy wee" or "mummy poo" when i'm on the toilet blush so he clearly knows what it's for. As we have the house move coming up I'm doing nothing until after he is settled in the new house and nursery, but otherwise I might have been tempted to try.

The Gina Ford book on potty training has been recommended lots of times. I bought it and it seems fairly sensible - whatever you think of her approach to parenting (and I don't think much!), this book seems pretty sensible.

Another option if you odn't want to potty train now for whatrever reason is to buy some popper-fastened wraps for washable nappies and put these over the nappies, as poppers are harder than tabs for a baby to take off. You may not want the faff of an extra layer at every nappy change, but it may work when you are going out and don't want a nappy-less T! Popolini or Motherease wraps are good. You can buy plain Motherease ones in Waitrose but can get lovely patterned ones online (twinkleontheweb.co.uk is great).

HolidaysQueen Wed 21-Oct-09 10:17:06

meant to say, because you are using disposables, the wraps shouldn't get wet unless you have a leak, so i think you can just throw them in to a normal 40C wash with other clothes rather than any special treatment required. and you wouldn't need a new wrap for each nappy change so you could probably use one all day and then just put in teh wash at the end of the day with clothes.

Ewe Wed 21-Oct-09 10:21:29

Thanks all, I might try her on the potty as have a week off second week of November, can't hurt I guess and can always go back to nappies if she doesn't take to it. She also likes to change her own nappy so she does the wipes and puts her cream on, fiercely independent and hates me doing stuff for her.

HQ, thanks for the book recommendation, I have her contented toddler guide which I think might cover it. Will dig it out and check, have the MN toddler book too which I assume covers it as well. DD does the same when I am on the loo! blush

She lives in little dresses so I think I might have to go for more dungaree/trouser outfits if I want her to keep them on!

Ewe Wed 21-Oct-09 10:24:42

I have some wraps from the days when I thought I would use washables. Just tried one on her and it seems quite bulky - she is very unhappy with this situation! I'll see if it stays on more than 2 minutes!

HolidaysQueen Wed 21-Oct-09 10:50:40

tights? or can she get those off too?

Ewe Wed 21-Oct-09 10:54:14

Can get those off too! She does put them back on (well tries to!) and then off and then on, repeat x10000000000.

Jeans have stayed on for last 20mins, she is distracted by "beeebbbiesss"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now