Talk

Advanced search

curse of the dummy?

(7 Posts)
shellki Wed 21-Oct-09 08:36:35

My DD2 is 5 and 1/2 months, is bottle fed and no longer needs to feed from 11pm till 8am. Nevertheless, she wakes repeatedly in the night wanting her dummy put back in, and then sometimes is awake and wanting to play for up to 2 hours. She has an older sister who goes to school, so we do avoid her making too much noise and waking her... Does anyone have advice on how to deal with this that doesn't involve a lot of crying and screaming in the night? HELP!

pippel Wed 21-Oct-09 08:45:47

introduce a comforter, my dd2 has a cuski and loves it, then take away the dummy.

I gave dd2 the cuski because I think when its time to take away the dummy she wont mind as much because she will still have him iyswim.

I think she prefers the cuski to the dummy to be honest, and if she was 6 months I would get rid of it but I want to wait until then because of the sids advice. She needs him to get to sleep, she holds on to his hat and snuggles right in to him.

pippel Wed 21-Oct-09 08:46:58

www.cuski.co.uk/

elliepac Wed 21-Oct-09 08:49:24

DS was an absolute nightmare for this and i lost count of the amount of times i would find myself, at 2am, crawling around on the floor looking for the dummy that had fallen through the cot bars. The only thing that worked was putting loads of dummies in the cot so he could always find one and nipping in as we went to bed and making sure he had one near him if he woke up. Having said that, have just realised that DD is only 5 months so may not be able to do that. With DD we made sure that we didn't end up in the same situation and when she woke up didn't go in to put her dummy in. She cried for a couple of nights but got over it.SHe now uses it to go to sleep only and doesn't have it during the day.

shellki Wed 21-Oct-09 10:30:51

Yes, I've been there at night fumbling about looking for damn thing! We only give it to her in her bed for falling asleep - but she wants it in the night if she wakes from a sleep cycle...

spanna74 Wed 21-Oct-09 20:00:51

We had this when DD1 was 7 months old, we just went cold turkey and it was hard to get her to drop off when we put her down at night for about a week but that was it and once she had dropped off we didn't have loads of crying in the night or anything...

My DD1 also has a cuski and she absolutely loves him, she has had him since she was born.

Naetha Wed 21-Oct-09 20:03:15

We had this with DS for a couple of weeks. Got over it by sending him to bed with three dummies - one in his mouth, and one in each hand. Worked a treat.

It's quite a short phase until they work out how to put it back in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now