Talk

Advanced search

Son mad about music - advice on how to feed his interest please?

(17 Posts)
chelseamorning Tue 20-Oct-09 11:08:21

My nearly 3yr old DS is mad about music. He's had an ELC keyboard for over a year. He makes up his own songs (words and music) about every day things and activities. He asks 'Do we know a song about X?' and if I say 'No', he makes one up on the spot!

Also, we were listening to the song 'Big in Japan' on the Radio yesterday (from the 80s - can't remember the artists). He said that it sounded a bit like the theme tune from 'Big Barn Farm' (if you know how that one goes!). He's absolutely right! grin

Is this normal for a nearly 3yr old?

Can anyone please suggest ways I can feed his interest without any overkill? Thanks!

angel1976 Tue 20-Oct-09 11:54:36

Chelseamorning - Whereabouts are you? Do you have a music school near you? If you are anywhere near Greenwich in London, there is a music college that caters for young ones too - Trinity College of Music Junior starting from age 3. I really like their philosophy. I think when they start it's only half an hour every Saturday and they encourage music appreciation before the kids 'pick' their own instruments when they are older. Sorry if you are not anywhere near it but maybe you could start looking at music colleges near you and they might have a similar junior programme? My DS loves music too but he is only 20 months old and if his interest develops, I would definitely consider going down this route...

snorkie Tue 20-Oct-09 12:11:47

Wow he sounds great!

I would definitely take him to see lots of live music of all sorts.

You can start learning violin at 3 (suzuki), which takes a lot of parental involvement (both at lessons & practice) and which does focus a lot on listening to music. I know some people would class it as overkill, & it's certainly not for everyone but it might suit your ds (who sounds as though he takes exceptionally good notice of music) as long as it doesn't stiffle his creativity (which would probably depend on the teacher).

brimfull Tue 20-Oct-09 12:18:09

My ds loves playing with proper keyboard. It was his sisters but he plays on it for ages.

I second the music group suggestion but also just play lots of different types of music -intriduce him to itunes and an ipod.

CMOTdibbler Tue 20-Oct-09 12:21:36

I think just playing lots of music, making up random songs (my DS does this too), and taking opportunities to hear/see live music is enough at this stage.

We found that the cathedral in our nearest city has a lot of concerts, and during the day before they rehearse in the cathedral and you can listen as you like. DS really likes to go and listen for 10 minutes, then wander off, and maybe go back again later.

LittleOneMum Tue 20-Oct-09 14:02:11

My DS (2) is also like this. We joke that he is going to be an accountant when he grows up because he's so cool now. He floors people all the time by naming songs when they play on the radio. My tip is to take him to music groups and also to play him lots of different music. I find that mine gets bored at an actual concert if it is too long (even with headphones, which he loves!)

Iklboo Tue 20-Oct-09 14:07:29

Ds is also like this. We've got him lits of little cheaper toy instruments (kazoo, saxophone), his own toy keyboard etc. Plus he's allowed to go on my keyboard when one of us is there and he's got a little guitar (just like daddy's) he can pick up and strum when he feels like it.
He's always making up songs or changing the words to 'real' songs that rhyme and fit with the rhythm etc and he's got great taste in music.
TBH we just have instruments lying around he can play with if he wants, he has a CD player in his room and his own CDs etc. It's kind of subversive encouragement wink

midnightexpress Tue 20-Oct-09 14:12:52

Oh interesting thread. DS1 is nearly 4 and also a bit of a budding muso. I am really keen to encourage him with this, but similarly a bit stuck on how to do that. So many of the music groups seem to be groups of mums and a few maracas, and he's quite shy so rarely joins in anything like that, so reading all this with interest.

AMumInScotland Tue 20-Oct-09 14:29:56

I would second groups run by music schools - I think it's quite common for them to have classes for young children on Saturdays, and these can work their way up from preschool singing & rhythms, up to instrumental lessons for older ones. DS started with one of these and his interest and abilities have developed from there.

midnightexpress Tue 20-Oct-09 16:14:28

AMIS - do you have any recommendations (I'm in Scotland too - Glasgow, so if you know of any good places, I'd love to have a recommendation).

AMumInScotland Tue 20-Oct-09 16:24:50

I'm afraid the one I know of is in Edinburgh - St Mary's Music School, but that's not going to be handy for you! You could try contacting RSAMD - they are a university rather than a school, but they may well have contacts with younger groups.

chelseamorning Tue 20-Oct-09 22:29:24

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! So is this normal or a particular talent perhaps?

We're trying to keep things 'light' so that he's not pressured into anything so that he becomes bored.

Unfortunately, we're not close to any music schools but I will look into it. We're in Bucks.

I've taken him to live classical music concerts (like lunchtime concerts which unfortunately seem to be frequented by people over 60, in our area!!!) and he loves them. I've had so many comments from people there about how good he was and how interested he seemed to be in the music. I think they thought he'd throw a tantrum or just misbehave or something! hmm

We've also tried lots of music groups. He's quickly bored by the type where someone sings along to a CD. His favourite of the moment is 'Teddies Music Club' where two ladies sing original songs along to a guitar. He's totally mesmerised!

He has a child's electric guitar, a keyboard, percussion instruments etc. I'll see if Santa is planning on giving him some other instruments! wink

chelseamorning Tue 20-Oct-09 22:30:51

Ooops!!! I've just re-read my original post and realised I'd made a mistake. The song we were listening to wasn't 'Big in Japan', it was 'Turning Japanese' by the Vapours!

meltedmarsbars Tue 20-Oct-09 22:34:26

I'd take care with headphones as you really want to protect his hearing longterm if he is so musical, and its easy to turn the volume up too loud on headphones.

Turning Japanese takes me back!

thedolly Tue 20-Oct-09 22:40:18

My DS is 2.6 and he can hum along to my DD's Suzuki violin pieces in tune. You can start to learn Suzuki violin from the age of 3. It usually involves a period of listening to another student play. This can be for up to as long as a year. If he really is interested there is a chance that he would be able to do this and get something from it. Worth looking into maybe?

chelseamorning Tue 20-Oct-09 22:40:38

Yeah, now listen to that bloomin' 'Big Barn Farm' track. Can't get it out of my head!!

Won't do headphones either. If anything, my DS, like me, is noise sensitive. I carry ear defenders/protectors with me to concerts, theatres, firework displays etc - just in case!

chelseamorning Tue 20-Oct-09 22:45:59

Yes, will look into that, thedolly, thanks.

Other parents might think he's weird, but it's really fun to see DS singing 'Happy Birthday' into the large end of one of the telescopes at Legoland, like it was a microphone! Yes, I'm so proud! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now