Talk

Advanced search

ear infection / separation anxiety / a stage / all three?

(3 Posts)
plumcake Mon 19-Oct-09 11:17:15

Hello - I probably know the answer is 'all three' but would like some other views anyway if anyone has a minute!

I also posted on nurseries about this recently. My 13month old started nursery (3 afternoons a week) 6 weeks or so ago. It was going reasonably well until about 10 days ago, when he was very unhappy there - uninterested in playing, engaging, and very unlike him (or unlike the usual him!). I took him to the docs last week and it turns out he has an ear infection - possibly had one as long as 10 days ago as I did notice him pulling on his ear but stupidly didn't take him to get it checked out straight away. He's now on a course of antibiotics, and seems much better, but his behaviour is still really flummoxing me: he's happy and calm and playing and then all of a sudden grumpy and clingy and undistractable (which is the behaviour they describe at nursery). Could it be the ear infection? In pain? At a confusing stage? Is there anything I can do? I've decided not to take him to nursery today or tomorrow to get him fully recovered - his next day would then be Friday. Sorry, I realise this is a bit of a non-post as there are no clear answers but if anyone has any wise words that might help I'd be very grateful - am feeling full of worry.

Thank you!

irishbookish Mon 19-Oct-09 17:09:17

My son had a lot of ear infections as a little bloke and I noticed his behaviour changed both before and after ear infections. My mum told me to put cotton wool in his ears to prevent drafts etc which actually made him happier. Antibiotics can give them tummy upset as well but they can't always tell you what's wrong. The infections can be caused by a cold virus so this might give him other not-so-noticeable symptoms.

plumcake Mon 19-Oct-09 19:14:40

Thanks for this irish! I might try the cotton wool thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now