Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DD can't get anyway up cups to work!!!!

(30 Posts)
QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 09:53:50

My dd is 10mths old and I'm trying to change from bottle to cup....
I've bought her anyway up cups, and tommy tippy non spill..... but when she tries to suck it's too hard for her and she gets angry. Even when I tried to suck I could barely get any liquids!!!

What else can I try??? She will drink from ordinary baby cups that pour our all over the place when you tip them up! But what is it with non-spill?? Sh would need jaw muscles like a pit bull to get the milk/water out!

Help?? Any ideas?

geekgrrl Mon 13-Jun-05 09:57:41

ah well - none of mine ever got them to work, and me neither. I find the tommee tippee ones with the small flip-up spout good.
Anyway-up cups are supposed to be terrible for your teeth, anyway - make them stick out.

loobywoof Mon 13-Jun-05 09:57:56

Same for my DS. Like you, when I tried I couldn't get anything out of them either. DS took really well to an Avent Magic Cup. They do soft white spouts for upto about 6 months and then harder green ones. The spouts are interchangeable with Avent bottles too.

Kidstrack2 Mon 13-Jun-05 09:59:18

Run your anywayup cup lid under hot water and it should soften the valve to allow your dd to drink from it. I remember six years ago using our first anywayup cup and I ended up poking in around the valve with a fork to stretch it, that was until I ran it under some hot water a few times !

Hausfrau Mon 13-Jun-05 10:00:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hausfrau Mon 13-Jun-05 10:01:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

leahbump Mon 13-Jun-05 10:02:22

If you can get to a morrisons they do these excellent anyway up cups based on a straw system- much better for baby (as they do not require super suction!) and they are actually better at not dripping than the TT ones i have tried!

Hard spout tho!

HTH

PS- my ds has tried every cup going and this was the only anyway up one we had sucess with. AND if you don't have morrisons I will get one and post it for u if you like.
they are about £2.50-3....not bothered about the postage..as I remeber how frustrating it was trying to find a cup that worked!!

Kidstrack2 Mon 13-Jun-05 10:03:12

P.s the tommee tippee cup that you can renew the spouts on is really good, Dental Health foundation reccomend it as your child has to slightly bite the spout for any liquids to come out. My dd has used this from about 8months, she is now 2.

leahbump Mon 13-Jun-05 10:03:34

PS- we are probably the odd ones out BUT ds never did the avent cups either

debs26 Mon 13-Jun-05 10:04:44

the best i found was a boots 1st beaker. they are quite small, just a beaker with no handles and a lid with a softish spout (ds found them quite satisfying to chew on when teething as an added bonus) and a separate see through lid. they are not spill proof but the lid keeps the inside of your bag dry and they dont allow the liquid to pour out too quickly. they are really cheap too - only about £2 so i have loads scattered about at my mums, grandmas etc so i dont have to remember to take one with me

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 10:21:55

MY ds used the anyway up cups no probs.... but only when he was old enough for me to say "you'll have to such rrreeeeally hard to get some juice!".

Thanks everyone.... will give Morrisons a try. I remember Tesco used to sell them and I thought they were brill. Haven't seen them in years though.

flamesparrow Mon 13-Jun-05 10:26:22

If you don't want to buy new cups.... stab the teat bit of the anyway up cup with a skewer a few times (and if you have one, chuck it through the dishwasher).

It lets a few drips out occasionally if it is left upside down for hours, but apart from that, the non-drip is still reliable, and the child can suck it out

DD prefers the boots cups with the removable valve thingy in the lids.

babynovice Mon 13-Jun-05 10:26:37

I think I bought one of every kind of cup and none of them worked at all as dd thought they were new toys and didn't realise she had to drink out of them! I started using avent spout on her bottle from about 7 mths and that has been fine so far.....bottle is also easier for her to hold than the handles on the cups.

charleepeters Mon 13-Jun-05 10:29:27

how do you get them to take a cup??? ds is 9 months and the h.v has been telling me for ages that he should be ona cup for juice and water he will take a tesco own, trainer cup but cant hold it, he doesnt like it thatmuch and preders totae a bottle anyday!

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 10:32:42

I was thinking about that Flamesparrow coz they weren't cheap!

Charleepters - dd won't hold the cup to drink out of it... I have to hold it for her. With the cheaper ones that aren't nonspill the juice/water just kind of pours down her throat! Then she starts sucking.

jambo1707 Mon 13-Jun-05 10:49:36

Try loosening off the no spill bit inside the cup.

Some of them remove all the way and some slightyly

Hope this works

Jimjams Mon 13-Jun-05 11:20:05

ds3 doesn't like water from any spouts (he's 5 months) but happily drinks out of a big boys open cup. I just take a small bottle of boiled water out with me and pour that into a cup (or take the teat off if there's nothing available).

LIZS Mon 13-Jun-05 11:25:16

Mine were over a year before they managed AnywayUp cups. Like loobywoof, with dd we used a Magic Cup (you can use the spouts on Avent bottles) and removed the non-spill valve to begin with then put it back and then moved onto AnywayUps and open cups.

tessasmum Mon 13-Jun-05 19:47:02

DD (at 27 months) was given an AnywayUp cup at a friend's the other day. Had a go but handed it back to me quite quickly and told me in no uncertain terms "No work"!!!

Xena Mon 13-Jun-05 19:49:07

Mine have all had Anyway up cups from an early age, however DD1 couldn't drink from them when they were new so I used to get DS to drink 3/4 cup fulls and that used to make the value soft enough for her to use.

Xena Mon 13-Jun-05 19:49:44

sorry that should read 3-4 cups

Hulababy Mon 13-Jun-05 20:05:33

We had no luck with spouted beakers, especially those with valves in them.

Have you considered a Doidy cup? (from www.bickiebegs.co.uk - or similar). They don't have a lid, but are shapped to help little ones manage a proper cup. One of only cups recommended by dentists/HV I think too. You'd need to help your DD with it at first, but with time it is easy to get hang off.

daisy1999 Mon 13-Jun-05 20:55:02

we never got the hang of anyway up cups.

NannyL Mon 13-Jun-05 23:22:40

i agree... byt the time i have stucked anything out of a new anyway up cup... im so exhausted from the effort i need a drink...

i find untilt hey have been well used they are almost impossible to use... but getting them to be well used in almost impossible in the first place

try the avant magicup
or the tomme tippe one

at leats they work!

Evesmama Mon 13-Jun-05 23:27:15

i used avent and now avent sportster..have a tomme tippe one with piglett on, which you do have to bite to get anything out...result...dd never used...so if anyone wants it? your welcome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now