Talk

Advanced search

up to date advice on bottle making and travelling on a plane

(8 Posts)
alli01452 Sat 17-Oct-09 23:21:06

i have recently started giving my 4 month son a formula bottle to go to bed which is fine becasuse he goes to bed the same time each night
i boil the kettle let it cool for 30 mins add the powder and then by the time i give him a bath and ready for bed give him milk or cool it under the tap if too hot

but how do you do it if you are going out for a long time?

i usually buy the made up cartons which is fine he will evan drink them at room temp but are quite expensive as eventually want to formula feed all the time so

how do i do it with powder?

and we are going abroad in december and you cnt take liquid on the plane any ideas?

duende Sun 18-Oct-09 07:19:31

i will be flying in Nov with my DS who is now exclusively FF and will be 3.m. at the time. I also wonder how to go about it, especially that he is on enfamil ar which isn't available in ready made up cartons. I've been told that you can take bottles with boiled water and powder separately. they will ask you to taste the water at the airport. I will have to confirm it before we travel and even though the flight is only 2 hours long, I think I will have to have at least 4 bottles with me in case we get delayed and stuck at the airport.
it would be so much easier if he was still BF

starmucks Sun 18-Oct-09 07:27:24

Having travelled recently, I can confirm that they make you taste the water. Don't bring cartons as they're 200ml and cannot be easily openned, tasted and then re-sealed.

Tee2072 Sun 18-Oct-09 07:35:30

you can bring premade formula

"When carrying formula, breast milk, or juice through the checkpoint, they will be inspected, however, you or your infant or toddler will not be asked to test or taste breast milk, formula, or juice. Our Security Officers may test liquid exemptions (exempt items more than 3 ounces) for explosives.

When traveling with your infant or toddler, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of baby formula, breast milk, or juice are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary, if you perform the following:

1. Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
2. Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening."

starmucks Sun 18-Oct-09 08:41:21

I'm surprised by that Tee. We were made test all our baby's bottles which contained water and our toddler's juice bottle. Maybe it depends on who you get at security. That or we must look very suspicious!

Tee2072 Sun 18-Oct-09 08:48:28

Well, I am hoping it won't be an issue, as we are (hoping) to go to the States for XMas, which is about 12 hours from London, so I will need about 4 cartons of premade to be on the safe side!

I may print that page out and bring it with me!!!

SheWillBeLoved Sun 18-Oct-09 11:07:02

Can you get some powder dispensers and ask the hostess to add an ounce or two of boiling water, then top the rest up with bottled water? I take a flask of hot water out with me, and a bottle of cold water and make them up as and when needed.

jollygreenmama Mon 19-Oct-09 01:55:27

We've just come back from Spain and I took our sterilizer unit in a small case as hand luggage, it had 4 bottles of boiled water and a dispenser. I was asked to taste two at random. I won't advise the cartons as you can't test n reseal them, you can get sma cartons airside however at Gatwick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now