Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are these drinks causing hyperactivity

(8 Posts)
hellion Sat 17-Oct-09 21:01:58

My two ds seem to go hyper after drinking Asda Juice Squeeze Drinks. As they only drink these at their Grandparents, I am not sure whether it is the juice causing it or the excitement of being out with their grandparents.

Has anyone had any experience of this or may know if there is something in the drinks that could affect them. When they don't have the drink they seem much calmer.

Any advice welcome.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 17-Oct-09 21:16:15

Are they the sugar free ones - if so have a look at the ingredients. Some of them have some nasty stuff in them.

Or it could be all the sugar if not, give a kid 200 ml of sugary stuff and watch them fly

maybebaby23 Sun 18-Oct-09 09:42:19

We make sure we don't buy anything sugar free because of the nasties (aspartame etc) Maybe it is the drinks. I would prob ask them to give water or some other juice (not sugar free) for a while and see if it makes a difference? My DD is always hyper at her grandparents no matter what she eats or drinks lol

purepurple Sun 18-Oct-09 09:45:30

Probably, send some of your own drinks next time.
DD used to go very manic after having some sort of juce drink when at nursery parties. It was funny to watch, but my god, it didn't half send her loopy.

bruffin Sun 18-Oct-09 10:00:30

Try the drinks at home, when they are being quiet and not overexcited and see what happens.

Suger does not make children hyperactive unless they have diabetic type problems and then all high carb foods would affect not just sweets.

ICANDOTHAT Sun 18-Oct-09 10:27:44

Probably have Aspartame (sweetener) ... keep well away from that stuff - v. bad !!

hellion Sun 18-Oct-09 21:25:45

The drinks are the sugar free ones. They don't contain Asparatame but do contain other sweeteners such as Sucralose and Acesulfame K.

Just so you know, I am not the sugar police, and tend to think that most drinks are fine in moderation. Normal squash and juice do not seem to have the same effect!!!!

tiredoftherain Sun 18-Oct-09 21:49:22

I know artificial sweeteners in Robinsons fruit drinks had unbelievable effects on dc1 - it was like having a different child once I'd figured it out and cut them out of his diet.

I'd ask them to stick to fresh fruit juice or water if you can, I wouldn't underestimate the nastiness in some of those drinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now