Talk

Advanced search

What would you think if you saw this

(21 Posts)
jobhuntersrus Fri 16-Oct-09 16:01:19

just got back from school run. Ds aged 3 threw a major tantrum which lasted pretty much there and back again. On the way back he stopped threw himself on the floor and really went for it. So I calmly stand about 10ft away and ignore him as all the other families walk past us. I really thought I was doing the right thing until I heard one mum say to her friend as they walked past "I can't believe she is leaving him to cry" I has tried distracting him etc but it really wasn't working. What would you have thought if you had seen us? I really thought I was handling it well, staying calm etc and now I feel everyone must have been looking at me thinking "what and evil woman".

Pinkjenny Fri 16-Oct-09 16:02:12

I would have thought, "poor mother, I've been there".

Plonker Fri 16-Oct-09 16:02:16

I would have done the same.

If you're evil, so am I grin

TheFoosa Fri 16-Oct-09 16:02:29

I would have said 'don't worry, we've all been there'

TheFoosa Fri 16-Oct-09 16:04:02

my dd once had a spectacular tantrum in the doorway of Oxfam in Kingsbridge, people had to step over her to get in grin

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Fri 16-Oct-09 16:06:22

I would try to make some comment that offered support... surely anyone who has ahd a child knows about tantrums!

squeaver Fri 16-Oct-09 16:07:25

Same as Foosa. Stupid cow.

shootfromthehip Fri 16-Oct-09 16:07:28

Oh man I have I been there- I would probably have given you a knowing smile, an innane remark along the lines of ' oh, it's good to know I'm not alone' and then maybe offered you a g+t or a b+h (not that I smoke them wink)...

squeaver Fri 16-Oct-09 16:08:03

Erm....not Foosa or you obviously - the woman who made the comment,

HeBewitcheditude Fri 16-Oct-09 16:09:12

I would assume that the mother who said that in your hearing, was a cow.

I'm racking my brains to think what other reasonable explanation there might be for such an unsupportive comment and find I can't come up with one.

I would have thought "thank God my kids are older now" or conversely "at least he's not demanding money, she's lucky"

Heated Fri 16-Oct-09 16:13:33

A mother of perfect child, clearly hmm Daft bint.

I've hoisted screaming tantruming dd over my shoulder to take ds to school. And then had to do the same in the afternoon too. I must look a real heartless mother.

KimiTheThreadSlayingAxeKiller Fri 16-Oct-09 16:20:10

You should have stamped on his head and walked away, goodness me woman do you know nothing about parenting?
grin

maybebaby23 Fri 16-Oct-09 16:54:12

People really annoy me lately. Why comment at all?? You know what, i would be too busy talking to my DD and getting her back to the car or whatever to stop and comment/stare. Im sure everyone has seen a child have a tantrum before, what is so shock about it?? Who did she think she was anyway? I would have got out a notebook and a pen and asked her infront of everyone what is the best way to deal with this!

I am hugely affected by pregnancy hormones by the way, sorry if my post is a tad OTT blush i just don't get it. OP you have my sympathy, my DD had a huge tantrum at the car after nursery earlier angry i just chucked her in and drove home with the radio blaring grin <bad mother emoticon> <who cares emoticon>

HowlingAtTheMoon Fri 16-Oct-09 16:56:26

I have lost count of how many times I have done that. It's a damn sight better than smacking him and dragging him kicking and screaming.

smileyboy Fri 16-Oct-09 17:01:54

I wouldn't have given it a second thought. We have all been there and those who haven't better brace themselves for the teenage years cos one way or another, at some point all kids are horrid. She probably smacked her kids and dragged them off rather than doing the right thing and ignoring them. Either way she sounds like a complete wanker.

differentWitch Fri 16-Oct-09 17:07:09

I'd have thought "Good on you Mum"

CantThinkofFunnyName Fri 16-Oct-09 17:12:52

i'm with MaybeBaby! First off, you are not a bad parent - as all other posters here have testified. The person who made the comment is an evil cow and I, like MaybeBaby would have probably picked up said child, forced into car and put on music v v loudly so I couldn't hear their screams anymore <<yet another v mad mother, doesn't give a hoot emoticon>> grin

teamcullen Fri 16-Oct-09 17:21:47

This reminds me of a time DS was throwing an almighty tantrum in IKEA because I wouldnt let him spend 3 hours in the children's area. I was standing away from him pretending to look at a book, being really calm.

When I looked up there was a man with his two kids standing in a line watching the horrible naughty little brat my son as if he was an animal in the zoo. I was so annoyed at the man I pulled my son up by the arm, and dragged him off shouting "how rude!"

DS was so shoked bt the interuption to his tantrum, he stopped crying wink

Id had thorght Well done mum. Kids have tantrums because they dont get their own way. Not because their spoilt little brats.

moosemama Fri 16-Oct-09 17:29:49

Reward the good behaviour, ignore the bad - she obviously doesn't know her behavioural theory.

And has absolutely no empathy or solidarity.

I would have thought "there but for the grace etc" and either said "glad its not just me then" or tried to give you a sympathetic smile (although I'm always worried sympathetic smiles will be misinterpreted if I'm honest).

jobhuntersrus Fri 16-Oct-09 17:35:29

Thank you everyone. The woman in question, I have heard her screaming at her dcs after school, threatening them with all sorts so I don't even know why I let her silly comment get to me. maybe she thought i ought to have walloped him. Or maybe she thinks it's ok to scream at your kids but to ignore them is cruel. Thank you again.

pumpkinpasties Fri 16-Oct-09 18:36:06

ignore the bad behaviour, reward the good, simple! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now