Talk

Advanced search

It's not a tooth it's a crystal

(6 Posts)
June2009 Thu 15-Oct-09 21:36:07

My friend took her 4 months old son to the HV today to show her his first tooth (a molar).
The HV said, "oh it's not a tooth it's a crystal" but then couldn't say actually what a "crystal" is and what it's doing in his mouth.
Anyone come across this before? I'm trying to look it up but no luck so far...

Drooper Thu 15-Oct-09 22:23:28

Haven't got a clue! Friends baby was born with teeth (eek!) and they weren't called crystals.

Also googled and couldn't come up with anything. Get friend to ask HV again!

pipWereRabbit Thu 15-Oct-09 22:24:17

I have no idea - but would love to hear an answer.

Perhaps HV has been reading too much Terry Pratchett and thinks the baby is a troll?

JJ1471 Fri 16-Oct-09 09:08:58

We thought our son had a tooth coming at about 3 months, we showed the HV who said that it could be a cyst, might this be what they meant? He still has it (at nearly 9 months, he has his two bottom teeth now too), it's a tiny white lump on his bottom gum, looks like the pointy bit of a tooth coming through but isn't. We didn't really question it but she didn't seem worried about it.

June2009 Fri 16-Oct-09 16:15:23

right someone else from my birth thread said they had some as well, it's very rare and the tooth just grows around it and it's not a problem. She found out when she had a scan for a tooth that was going to be removed.

Still doesn't expain all but I reckon if my friend asks a dentist she'll get some answers.

Skillbo Fri 16-Oct-09 23:10:54

Hi June grin

I would ask at the dentists as I didn't get much info from them - they just called other dentists into the room to look at them - told you they were rare!

If you find out more, do let me know x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now