Talk

Advanced search

Would you be worried if..

(6 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Thu 15-Oct-09 19:36:43

your 4½ year old son, in the bath with his 2 year old sister, spread his bottom literally in her face and demanding several times that she lick it? i.e. his anus? Picture the scene. Is this normal?!?!

I had just turned my back to get towels out the airing cupboard when I heard this. I was shock and dd was crying. I told him calmly not to do that but really I wanted to yell, "WTF are you doing and where did you learn that?"

He's obsessed with bottoms, boobies and all that annoying puerile stuff that kids of that age find hysterical. I really hope he grows out that soon because it's irritating.

He farts in her face and thinks it's hilarious. Every time I hear him laughing, I dread to think what he's doing to her each time and it's sad but when I hear him laughing, I think he's either sitting on her or taking something off her or perhaps now he's shoving his bottom in her face.

Whenever I tell him off or ask him not to do something, he just laughs and says, "Na, na, na, na, na, na." No carrot seems to work - only sticks like taking toys away, stories away or cancelling playdates. I feel like I'm the soppy liberal parent who's being walked all over by a very strong personality who actually doesn't give a fig what I think or want.

I can't say I'm too fond of him at the moment tbh. Is this normal behaviour? I'm a bit flummoxed.

southeastastra Thu 15-Oct-09 19:47:27

mine went through a stage of showing his bum alot, once bending over and shouting out 'look at my stinky arse' charming hmm

really i wouldn't worry too much about it and if he knows he'll get a reaction he'll continue to do it.

is he hanging around with a boy who is could maybe be influencing him?

ShowOfHands Thu 15-Oct-09 19:50:11

I would not be worried but I'd want him to stop it nonetheless. Have you tried utterly ignoring the puerile body stuff or just a disinterested 'oh dear ds, nobody's interested' and then getting on with things?

I believe it's normal. Does he do the same with friends? Are they encouraging each other do you think?

mollythetortoise Thu 15-Oct-09 19:54:55

my initial raction is that this fairly normal for his age. It is normal to be obsessed with bums, poos, etc at this age and I suppose being in the bath gives extra opportunity for bum stuff to take place!
I don't think I would worry too much, just keep doing what you are already.. ie. telling him it's not nice etc.
I would keep an eye though as it's not fair on your dd but try not to overreact to your ds.
Perhaps stay in bathroom whilst they are in bath together and whip your dd out after a few minutes once she's clean.
Do you have bath toys? a few toys might keep him occupied on more wholesome bath games!

overmydeadbody Thu 15-Oct-09 19:59:47

I would probably say it is just a phase, and not to worry too much about it or ask "why". I have noticed that DS and his friends seem obsessed with words like poo and bum, especially when they are together.

Just repeat to yourself "this too will pass"

WinkyWinkola Fri 16-Oct-09 11:10:24

This too shall pass, this too shall pass. Hokay. Thank you. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now