Talk

Advanced search

Blankie/Teddy attachment : what's the story?

(13 Posts)
tjtheminx Thu 15-Oct-09 15:01:17

My DS 2.5 has just developed an attachment to his favourite cow teddy - brings him everywhere with him, in his cot, at the nursery etc.
I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing though... I vaguely remember my parents rolling their eyes at a cousin who had a blankie ( until she was about 10, mind...)
He is very cute about it "I luff my moo " (aahh) but I'm not sure if this means he feels he needs more security ( sad) or should I nip it in the bud now?
He only really been doing it since last weekend and the cow is getting pretty grubby already.Which leads me to another question- the cow is from John Lewis... do you think I can put it in the washing machine?

ten10 Thu 15-Oct-09 15:38:12

My DS (2.8) has an attachment to a blanket - calls it 'beddy'
he would happily drag it around everywhere if I let him, but because it was made for him by Nana (and therefore cannot really be replaced) we have an upstairs only rule,
which was not easy to instill but everyday we now go through a routine of putting 'beddy' in his cot and saying 'goodbye' before we go downstairs.

My only advice if you don't mind him taking it everywhere, is buy three more identical toys. this way if one dies, or gets lost or thrown in the duck pond etc you have a ready replacement to save too many tears. you could even rotate them so that they all get a little worn, and smell the same so that if you do lose one he will not notice that a replacement is brand new and therefore different.

tjtheminx Thu 15-Oct-09 15:56:13

we are in the US and cow bought by granny in ireland ... so no easy access to John Lewis... think I could order replacements online? I'm off to check now.

MrsBadger Thu 15-Oct-09 16:04:45

yes get a duplicate asap

and yes put it in washing machine, it will be fine at 30 on a gentle cycle

is it one of these? any other helpful info on it so we can find you a duplicate?

(we have two of dd's favoured doll, rotated into wash regualrly to even out wear)

ThePrettiestStar Thu 15-Oct-09 16:24:54

Completely agree with regards to duplicating the toy - my son has a puppy.
We are on the second one now after the first met an unfortunate end.
I also bought a tiny collar and lead for it so when we are out and about I can tie it to something.

DS thinks puppy went on holiday and came back clean and refreshed. grin

ThePrettiestStar Thu 15-Oct-09 16:28:03

Oh and I think it's perfectly normal for children to have an attachment to something - most children I know have some sort of comfort toy including my nephews.

tjtheminx Thu 15-Oct-09 16:49:44

Thanks MrsB and the Prettiest.. I have plenty of people in the UK who would love an excuse to go teddy buying in JL. I don't see it on the website. Thanks for your help anyhow.
Also thanks for the reassurance. He's my PFB and I'm super anxious he luffs his cow more than me!

benfmsmum Thu 15-Oct-09 16:54:21

My ds has his "blankie" which his Gran knitted him when he was born. She has also since knitted 2 smaller versions so that the big shawl can stay at home and the smaller versions go travelling!

MrsBadger Thu 15-Oct-09 20:50:23

We made Baby (aforementioned doll) a safety harness to attach her to dd's lifejacket when we went canal boating...

And re puppy 'going on holiday', wasn't there an MNer who lost a cuddly and in desperation bought a replacement on ebay... only to find it was twice the size of the original. Her dc still talk about the time Monkey / Rabbit / whoever ran away, ate all the chocolate and came home much bigger...
still makes me smile

girlsyearapart Thu 15-Oct-09 21:01:07

Hi my dd1 (2.1)has a comfort blanket with a teddy bit attached to it.

She sucks the corners it is absolutely feral looking and smelling. Brown corners which do not shift even when washed.

We did the hard yards and only let her have it after bathtime at night once pjs are on.

Beware the replacement- after retracing my steps for it many times whilst out (back when she took it everywhere) I realised we needed to introduce replacements.

No not a chance she will not have any others even identical..

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 15-Oct-09 21:07:20

I think it's fine, DS has several and interchanges them Al are irreplacable though

We have the upstairs only rule too, although this isn't strictly enforced (still working on it)

JamInMyWellies Thu 15-Oct-09 21:07:39

DS1 has a taggie we bought replacements to rotate but he knows and has now numbered them. Taggie 1 is his favourite. He also has 4 doggies and large teddy a small sheep which all go to bed with him. He used to have alot more but we have been slowly removing them as he couldnt get into bed. grin

DS2 also has a taggie we have a spare and rotate them so far no preference.

teameric Thu 15-Oct-09 21:09:50

My DD has an attachment to her little mumble penguin (from happy feet) that I got free from a pack of persil when she was tiny,
we have had to buy loads off ebay (the only place we can get them) so she can have a replacement,as she's already lost 2 hmm
she also has to go to bed with her muslin, she won't sleep without one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now