Talk

Advanced search

14mo DS starting to screech a lot

(4 Posts)
lorrycat Wed 14-Oct-09 10:47:15

DS has just started to walk and for a month or so, we have been having difficulty changing his nappies. He hates having to sit still for the lenght of time to undress and change his nappy. He gets particularly distressed when he sees the new nappy ready to go on.
Also we have noticed that his temper is really developing. He screeches a lot (in frustration i think/hope) when he can't reach something or if he doesn't want any more dinner etc etc. Basically he is very vocal whenever he can't get what he wants.

Is this normal? He is generally a very good child. Sleeps really well, eats really well, is in a good structured routine and we try to shower him with affection in the evening after he has been at creche all day. Is it just frustration because he cannot yet verbally tell us what he wants/needs??

IWroteOffLightningMcQueen Wed 14-Oct-09 10:49:34

It's a phase.

Repeat "This too shall pass" 1000000000000 times, from now till he's 18yo, and you'll get through it wink

SouthernLights Fri 23-Oct-09 17:02:19

Yup. My 14 month old daughter is exactly the same. Every time she learns a new way to communicate a need (pointing at the floor for "Mother, I would like to disembark the high chair now, please" for example, or the baby sign for "hungry") she stops shrieking about that particular thing, but she quickly finds something new to yell about. She also yells if she's thwarted in her plans to yank all the books off the shelves, or trips over her trousers.

Try reading a book called "Touchpoints". The essence of it it that children's expressions of frustration are a part of development. Kept me sane.

PoppyIsApain Fri 23-Oct-09 17:06:46

My ds was 13 months when this started, he is now 16 months and <fingers crossed> it is starting to calm down abit smile it will pass

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now