Hi all, just want to know if this is normal. Nursery today said every time they read a particular book and get to the last page my DS aged 2 starts crying hysterically. It's a Spot the Dog book, and on the last page Spot is asleep in his basket. I'm wracking my brains as to why he's being like this so any ideas would be helpful thanks.
Maybe he thinks Spot is dead? Have you asked him what the problem is? Perhaps he is upset because the book is finished. Toddlers are very random sometimes I wouldn't get too stressed about it - tell them not to read it to him again. Is it Spot's Busy Day by chance. Perhaps his sobbing is a commentary on the sheer inanity and bad editorial content of the book ?
I don't think he has any concept of death, and I think it might be Spots busy day, if thats the one with a clock on the corner. When I asked he just said Spot sleep in a really sorrowful little voice. He's normally such a happy little soul, I don't like to think I'm missing anything that's upsetting him.
DD1 used to do that with Hairy Mclairy from Donaldson's Dairy - she was petrifiedor Scarface Claw the toughest tom in town - it was the page before the big picture when you can just make out his eyes!!!
(Kids are just random. My DD has spent over a year saying "mummy" at a particular page which has a log with a hole in it. Perhaps an eye (though why mine?). It looks like nothing so much as a giant vagina, I'm starting to think she's having birth flashback
Get him a Spot dog - you can buy them with the books in Borders - actually various places. DD got really excited that she was able to control the end and it stopped her getting cross that 'Spot's getting it wrong' when he went to sleep before she was ready.
Crapweasel - it's just me isn't it, pointing out the inaccuracies and inconsistencies in toddler books?
BTY I really wouldn't worry about it, he'll find something new to get upset about next week, just act as though nothings wrong or talk about isn;t that nice, Spots had a busy day and now he's tired - try not to make it into something bigger
Our DS (18 mths) cries at books too - I think it is a sign of his ENORMOUS intelligence . Things which upset him and my interpretations as follows:
1) Scarface Claw (same as needanewname) - because it is a very scary cat
2) The Kindest Giant In Town - the part where his trousers fall down - because it has the word "fall" and he had recently nearly had a bad fall himself, off the bed - DH grabbed him so he didn't actually fall, but I think he realised that he nearly did and was also freaked by being grabbed so suddenly - and by our expressions.
3) The Cat in the Hat - where all the stuff falls down - same reason, I think
4) He went through a phase of crying at the end of any favourite book or TV show - just because it was over
5) Not a book but - once got very hysterical when watching in the Night Garden because the wind blew IgglePiggle's blanket away...
SO I think most likely your DS is either sad about it being the end of the story OR maybe he is sad that Spot is going to sleep and not being fun any more, OR - does he have trouble sleeping himself and it reminds him of that??
Reading this, it looks like my DS is a real cry baby - ! - he is actually a pretty happy little guy!