Talk

Advanced search

Any tips to help me get my 3 year old dd dressed and keep her that way? Please. I am stressed beyond belief.

(4 Posts)
suiledonne Tue 13-Oct-09 15:54:38

My dd1 has eczema. She doesn't like clothes. I always choose comfortable cotton things for her but she resists getting dressed every day and when I finally get her dressed as soon as we are back in the house she strips down to her underwear again. At best I can get her to keep a t-shirt on too.

She has asthma brought on by colds. Our house is not warm. I need her to be dressed.

I have tried:

Briskly putting the clothes on - she fights, struggles takes them off again.

Letting her choose the outfit.

Not letting her choose the outfit.

Rewarding.

Punishing

Bribing.

I am at the end of my tether. It takes all day to leave the house.

I don't know how to handle this situation.

Any ideas?

mathanxiety Tue 13-Oct-09 16:51:20

She may be irritated by the clothes, if she has eczema and asthma. What sort of detergent do you use? How about soaps/ lotions that might be causing irritation? I use non-bio detergent and it seems to make a difference to very itchy DD. I went as far as getting only organic, non-dyed cotton things too, because the undressing thing was getting ridiculous.

linspins Wed 14-Oct-09 20:42:55

When she is at home, could/would she wear loose fitting cotton pyjamas or a snuggly dressing gown? I know it's not a solution to going out but would keep her warm.

My dd who is three, fights to not get dressed when I want her to but will get up in the morning and dress up in bizarre dressing up outfits all by herself! Then we have a battle to get this off after brekkie and in to 'normal clothes' when we have to go out. I know how exhausting it is. You have my sympathies. xx

BiscuitStuffer Thu 15-Oct-09 10:49:20

how about a dressing up outfit - princess / witch or something (with long sleeves etc!)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now