Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I teach DD to read?

(18 Posts)
chicaguapa Fri 10-Jun-05 23:29:50

I think the subject line says it all! DD is 3.5 yo and is really showing signs of wanting to read. She knows all her big ABC and little abc visually and can recite the alphabet as well as rhyming and playing I Spy. We also play a game on the bbc site about matching the last letter of the word which she finds challenging and enjoys.

Do I sit down with her and actively teach her or just continue what I'm doing now which is answering her questions about what words say as and when they crop up? She's at pre-school btw so perhaps I could ask them to help?

Incidentally she's not interested at all in writing letters and I wondered if this stage should come hand in hand with reading?

Looking forward to lots of helpful hints.

Skribble Fri 10-Jun-05 23:41:03

Once my daughter showed interest in reading and asked what things said we made up some word cards. You can buy packs of flash cards but we made our own about half the size of a playing card.

We made two sets one with a picture on the back and one with out. Pictures can be drawn or cut out make it fun whatever you choose.

I choose simple words to start with and family names and pets etc, DD suggested a few words she wanted.

You can play all sorts of matching games, make up silly sentences etc. Her favourite was to lay one set out on the floor and load the rest on to the back of a small toy lorry and drive it about delivering the cards to its matching one.

It might help to find out waht teqniques they will use at her future school, but it won't matter if this is supplimented by other methods. If she already knows her letters you could get magnetic letters and use these to make up words using more games.

Smother her in books of all kinds, charity shops are ane excellent place to get cheap books.

Read with her a lot as well letting her pick out words she recognises.

chipmonkey Sat 11-Jun-05 00:02:09

chica, I found the ladybird books invaluable. DS1 was reading at the level of an 8 yr old by the time he got to school and we started when he was 3. But the writing should go hand-in-hand with it. And no-one told me that all they would do for the first year was colouring and ds1 HATED colouring! Ladybird also do flash cards with key words on them which we have found useful with ds2, who seems to be dyslexic but no diagnosis as yet.

fatmomma Sat 11-Jun-05 00:13:04

My mum is a teaching assistant and goes on about CVC words a lot, that's consonant, vowel, consonant (pig, hat, dog etc.). These are the words that they start with before moving on to longer words with sounds like oo and sh. Also, you shouldn't use capital letters at all at this stage - they shouldn't be using them at pre-school either.

I have been using flash cards with my ds since he was about 6 months but never force it, we just look at them when he shows an interest. He is just starting to pick out letters but mostly by the words he associates with them (ie he will point at t and pretend to use a toothbrush).

Also agree with Skribble about having lots of books around but then I have 3000+ of my own so may be a little biased!! My ds has a book as a treat rather than a bag of sweets, it costs a little more (unless you can get to a charity shop) but it's much better value.

jabberwocky Sat 11-Jun-05 01:11:08

There's a great thread on this somewhere. Jolly Phonics was highly recommended.

dinny Sat 11-Jun-05 05:55:04

my dd is 3 and we often do some of those Galt workbook things - the alphabet one is really good. Children are still taught the phonetic alphabet, are they not? I heard a teacher a my dd's nursery say she had done a "t" recently (pronounced it "tee")??

zebraZ Sat 11-Jun-05 07:29:12

Am totally confused, it's the school's job to teach them to read, no? Why are you so keen to start now?

DS1 is 5.5yo, in Reception, he can pick out the occasional word. His teacher is very happy with his progress. DD is 3.5yo and sometimes likes to "play" at reading, but I would never push her to do more.

AuntyQuated Sat 11-Jun-05 07:31:03

hi, i'd say continue with what you re doing but if you haven't done so alreday teach her hte letter sounds alongside the names. she would be taught theses first in primary cshool, but it doesn't mattre if she only knows the names for now. she now needs to learn that the letter Tee says t, Ess says ssss etc etc
don't restrct her to cvc words, length is irrelevant. she will laready be reading "Sainsbury's" (or similr) but may not manage "pig".
Try and get hold of the Jolly Phonics scheme already mentioned; ELC used to sell it.

encourage the writing as much as you can; she may well start with 'emergent writing' - basically that is scribble in a line! praise her for it and ask her to read it to you...she will be able to!
write a shopping list every time she goes with you to the shop and sk her to write one too (even if you ddon't need one) this brings purpose to her writing.

most importantly, have fun, don't get stressed about it and don't put any pressure on her. without you doing a thing she is alreday learning to read all on her own.

bee3 Sat 11-Jun-05 08:34:41

Have a look at this thread - especially catflap's posts. It all makes interesting reading. HTH

Pinotmum Sat 11-Jun-05 08:46:20

Catflaps thread is brilliant and I WILL READ IT all the way through one day. My dd is in nursery at the local primary and will go into reception this september. She has started to show an interest in reading since Christmas but I have not pushed it. Now and then we read books with repetitive words - mum and dad, cat, dog. I have the magnetic words that she will learn in Reception on my fridge and she can pick out some of them now. I have borrowed some books from my sister who is a teacher by Ruth Miskin called Superphonics which helps with the CVC words. She is doing well with these but I am NOT hot housing or pushing. We do it when she brings them to me and I have a few minutes. I am pleasd she may have a good start for Reception but don't want to confuse her either by getting too far ahead. I personally think if they enjoy it go ahead and if they don't leave it. DD is also desperate to write but just writes loads of letters all together, no spaces and then says what does that say

trinityrocks Sat 11-Jun-05 11:38:41

zebraz, I'm surprised by your post " It's the school's job to teach them to read"

I find that really awful to hear and hope people don't think that is how all parents feel and as for saying "I would never push her to do more".
It's quite clear that chicaguapa is not pushing and just trying to follow her daughter's lead and do the amount she WANTS to do.

jabberwocky Sat 11-Jun-05 11:42:35

Yea bee3! that's just the thread I was thinking of. It's really good, isn't it?

zebraZ Sat 11-Jun-05 15:41:13

TrinityR -- ok, fair enough, sorry. I misread Chica Guapa's post the first time, thought she said that her DD wasn't showing signs of wanting to read.

Still, posts like these make me nervous, I think make anyone nervous who has a 3yo who has no or almost no interest/ability in reading ("what's wrong with my child that they aren't like hers?", etc.).

fatmomma Sat 11-Jun-05 22:44:41

I too was suprised by your post ZebraZ. It is the schools job to teach our children all sorts of things, including 'citizenship' but that doesn't mean we can't teach them about community and responsibility before they get there. Art is also a big part of most primary schools but I am sure you don't object to colouring and painting with your ds.

I can understand that conversations like these can make people worry ('why isn't my child doing that' etc.) but all children have different strengths and interests. We have loads of books in the house so ds is naturally interested. Other kids will be able to draw a better dog than him or kick a football better (which he can't do at all yet). My siblings and I could all read the newspaper before we went to school but I am rubbish at maths.

Having said all that, I have to remind myself of the above frequently when I start to worry about ds's speach and growth.

mandyc66 Sat 11-Jun-05 22:54:46

let each hild develop at its own pace. Only worry if they get to 5 or 6 and show no signs of reading then you will find support at school.Teachers etc are trained to help if there is a prob.Just have books around.Telling a story from a picture is the first step to reading and if there are books around to look at they will pick them up! Ask your child to tell you a story from a book. there is no wrong story even if it doesnt match the words or your idea!!! enjoy them whilst they are still discovering for them selves and not made to conform!

alhambra Sun 12-Jun-05 18:05:49

Chica guapa, I read your post with interest, and I don't think you should be "teaching" her to read at all. Instead you should be imparting to her a love of words and literature. Otherwise when she gets to reception she is going to be very bored as she has to go through it all again. Let her dictate stories to you,let her "write" her own stories in emergent writing, and read, read, read, read, with her, poetry, drama, instructions for how to construct things,signs, anything. read to her in different languages. Let her make letters in sand, clay, twigs, with her body - sing songs to her - anything but formal learning!I think anything formal at age 3.5 is completely insane, and frankly, it freaks me. Schooling in this country is already vastly over academic in the early years, and it doesn't pay off. We still have really low literacy rates and a studiedly anti-intellectual culture.

zebraZ Sun 12-Jun-05 19:29:46

Alhambra's point about bordom is a good one... also what if you teach them to read (or write) using one method & they get taught another at school? Also, I heard a story of a local child who was taught to write before school, but our school uses joined up letters, so child had to learn all over again and never had any advantage at all from having been taught before he started school.

Fatmomma, I said that I read it wrong, thought she was trying to teach reading to an uninterested child.

Skribble Mon 13-Jun-05 22:05:41

If a child is interested in anything it should be encouraged, its very easy to get lost in a class of 34 kids, going in with a little reading, pre reading, writing or pre writing skills gives them confidence and will encourage confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now