Talk

Advanced search

My 3-week-old has spots, is this normal?

(17 Posts)
berolina Fri 10-Jun-05 18:01:46

The title says it all! For a couple of days now he's had a scattering of little spots on his face. I think I've read somewhere that it's normal but because he's curretly mixed fed (aiming towards exclusive bf) I would like to be sure it isn't an allergy. Thanks for any comments.

starlover Fri 10-Jun-05 18:02:49

yes... little white spots? they're called milk spots and LOADS of babies get them.

they will go in time

jackeroo Fri 10-Jun-05 18:05:53

DS had a spotty few weeks around this age - HV said it was normal and something to do with hormones. he also had milk spots...

Trixie1 Fri 10-Jun-05 18:13:16

yep can confirm my boy's face was covered and I was embarrassed to take him out. cleared over a period of 3 - 4 weeks. Now he has the clearest complexion I have ever seen, so nothing to worry about.

CarolinaMoon Fri 10-Jun-05 18:22:52

yep, they aren't v pretty are they? Ds's cleared up at 6 weeks, as promised by the HV. Just don't be tempted to pick them!

Twiglett Fri 10-Jun-05 18:24:27

totally normal which is one of the reasons why any ad pictures of newborns invariably has a 3 month old in it

berolina Fri 10-Jun-05 20:23:30

Thanks!
A second question (unrelated and a little tmi) has just occurred to me - sorry to annoy you with it and thanks for any experience: what colour should mixed fed babies' poo be? Is it usual for it to, er, vary?

angie0201 Fri 10-Jun-05 21:01:17

Hi never thought i'd talk about poo and all that guess thats what being a mum does for you! my dd poo was mustardy colour when she was being breastfed and then changed to dark gren when she was being bottle fed and does vary a lot now all perfectly normal

ChocolateGirl Fri 10-Jun-05 22:28:38

hi,

my babies had the very spotty thing - tiny, tiny spots all over the face, poor things. My breast feeding counsellor told me they were appearing because the baby was getting too much foremilk - so maybe ask an expert (it would have to be an expert, midwives generally don't seem to know this, if my experience is anything to go by) if your positioning is okay. Mine needed a bit of finetuning. They cleared up after a few weeks.

I think (but I'm not sure) that the poo colour may well change if you are mixed feeding... according to what the last feed was. Mustard yellow is what to aim for with exclusive breastfeeding... green when breastfeeding is a sign of problems... believe me, I've been there!!

hth

PocketTasha Fri 10-Jun-05 23:31:15

hi berolina

I've always been led to beleive that a baby's poo colour is kind of dependant on what you've eaten, when breast feeding. But if you are mixed feeding then it will vary depending on which feed it is. iyswim. hth.

berolina Sun 12-Jun-05 10:29:03

Cheers!
What problems are those ChocolateGirl?

CarolinaMoon Mon 13-Jun-05 13:28:51

green poo while bf isn't necessarily a sign of problems. If it's foamy as well as green it may be a sign that the baby is getting too much foremilk, but if not it may not be a sign of anything in particular. It can appear if they are ill or fighting off a virus tho. If everything else seems ok and it isn't foul-smelling, it probably isn't worth worrying about imo.

uwila Mon 13-Jun-05 17:49:54

hi bero. DS had the same thing. Clearing up now (4 weeks old on Thurs.) So worry not.

aloha Mon 13-Jun-05 17:56:41

Totally, utterly, tediously normal = they are called milk spots and emerge at the exact moment you feel up to going out and showing off your perfect baby! They can take ages to go away as well, but I bet your ds is still cute as cute underneath. I called dd 'Baby Spotty' for ages.

aloha Mon 13-Jun-05 17:57:59

Oh, it's rubbish about the milk causing it! Such nonsense!
And yes, poo colour varies enormously and that's normal too.
Berolina, you have a textbook baby

berolina Mon 13-Jun-05 20:43:40

Foamy poo?!
Textbook baby, with parents like us? How did that happen?
Thanks everyone!

berolina Mon 13-Jun-05 20:44:18

ps aloha - he IS cute - absolutely, utterly gorgeous! Spitting image of dh apart from the hands which he deffo has from me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now