Talk

Advanced search

Headbanging 12 month old

(2 Posts)
drinkyourmilk Sat 10-Oct-09 21:35:48

I'm not particularly worried about this (though would obviously like it to stop!), but wondered if anyone could offer some words of wisdom (or reassurance).

She head bangs mainly in her car seat (still small enough for a rear facing maxi cosy) - it can be one or two bangs, or 15 minutes of it. She has also started experimenting banging her head on the floor and other surfaces/objects. Mainly to see what it feels like, sometimes because she is upset/cross.

Does anyone else have a head banger? Can anyone help me to stop it? Does this mean i'm gonna be dealing with a headbanging toddler when tantruming sad? (ps - try saying that last sentence after a glass of wine!grin)

SmallSCREAMCap Sat 10-Oct-09 21:43:55

How strange, I was going to post about head banging tonight and DD is 6!

She only head bangs very late at night now when half asleep. From about 9 months, she banged the back of her head all the time, in highchairs, cot, car seat. It is a form of self-soothing.

My MIL told me that DH used to do it when he was little - he still does it a bit in the middle of the night!

It used to upset me a lot, particularly when she did it in public, e.g. in a pushchair or sitting in a plastic house at playgroup. It just looks like such an odd thing to do and I think I was more worried about what other people would think, if I'm honest. Did draw some silly comments from people, unfortunately.

The main reason I want her to stop now is that she wakes every morning with her hair in one massive dreadlock Amy Winehouse beehive style, despite putting it in 2 tight plaits every night...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now