Talk

Advanced search

at what age did your toddler start to try and put on a jacket?

(12 Posts)
bumbly Sat 10-Oct-09 15:21:35

my two year + 2 months old shows no interest in learning to put on clothes and shoes etc

if ask to put on his coat he screams and says you - he can't anyway

Meglet Sat 10-Oct-09 15:26:07

Ds is 2.11, he puts on his coat at nursery but when I ask him to do it at home he makes a big drama out of it and runs off. If he's left for long enough he can get himself dressed, but its painfully slow and involves a few tantrums when he gets in a muddle.

GhoulsAreLoud Sat 10-Oct-09 15:28:31

DD (14mo) attempts to put on her coat, shoes and her Dad's shoes.

She is nowhere near capable of doing it though, she normally just drapes a sleeve on her head. She can get Daddy's shoes on though, but he has size 12 feet so it's not actuallyl hard grin

StealthPolarBear Sat 10-Oct-09 15:32:40

interest at about 18m I think
Can just about do it now at 2 1/2 - but often gets arms in wrong sleeves

bumbly Sat 10-Oct-09 15:35:30

so i shouldn't worry?????

BrigitBigKnickers Sat 10-Oct-09 15:50:36

The best way I was shown to encourage a little one to put a coat on is to lay it on the floor in front of them upside down (with the clooar by their feet and the lining showing. Get them to put both arms through the sleeves then pull the coat up over their heads. Their arms slide in as it goes over and they usually end up with their arms in the right sleeves!

nouveaupauvre Sat 10-Oct-09 21:02:46

totally normal, my ds is a few months older and will now attempt to put on shoes but usually not on the correct feet but couldn't put on a coat and doesn't want to.
best way to encourage if you want to is maybe to let him try on YOUR stuff (ds was trying to put his feet in mine or dh's shoes long before he had any interest in his own) and then let it go from there naturally.

Scottie22 Sat 10-Oct-09 21:22:27

Coats are hard - they have to go around the back and dd tries very hard but simply can't do it yet at 28 months! Will try your advice BrigitBigKnickers!!

My 5 year old ds still waits for me to put his coat on for him EVERY morning - I think it could be a boy thing?!

Ivykaty44 Sat 10-Oct-09 21:26:52

Oh it is such fun to do the upside down coat trick - do teach him this magic grin

bethylou Sat 10-Oct-09 21:28:48

Alternatively, put coat on back of small chair - another way to avoid them having to get it round their backs to start with.

SardineQueen Sat 10-Oct-09 21:39:21

Mine is 2.3 and can't do any clothes - I hadn't really thought about it. Not worried TBH.

Actually yes she can take her shoes and socks off, usually when I don't want her to. That's it smile

slowreadingprogress Sat 10-Oct-09 21:55:33

DS is 7 and he will give it a go now and again

grin

DS was seriously not interested in self care skills! Would have had me dressing him completely at 5. certainly showed no interest at 2.

There are good tricks to put on coats etc as mentioned on here but tbh if the child has zero interest in doing it the tricks don't work. It's just about when they gain that drive to be independent and some (boys particularly?) children of 2 are still really babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now