Talk

Advanced search

feel awful i reprimanded little one but maybe weas ill...i always do this...do you?

(18 Posts)
bumbly Fri 09-Oct-09 15:16:28

last night kept crying and crying over being scared a song grandma sang

most odd

onyl way he has ever settled since born is to be left to cry it out as my presenc ein room triggers hysterics to be cuddled

however lats night never did fall asleep until 5 am

kept saying scared

i then got annoyed more more into night and got terse

then lfinally he fell asleep

this morning says pain in leg and lsight fever of 37.6

oh my gosh what a bad mum

i always seem to get mad when he is ill as am end of tether

bumbly Fri 09-Oct-09 15:35:48

how can a mum not know if its own child is ill? feel awful

thought was sinply playing up with being scared and asking for cuddles till was too tired ot make sense himself

so left him to cry to sleep

argh!

Stigaloid Fri 09-Oct-09 15:56:48

Give yourself a break. You were tired and didn't know. 37.6 is a very mild temp and my DS gets temps when he is over-tired. After a nap is fine without need of calpol. What was he scared of? Don't beat yourself up - am sure you are doing an amazing job and he loves you dearly x

Stigaloid Fri 09-Oct-09 15:58:15

PS what song did Grandma sing?

Rhubarb Fri 09-Oct-09 15:59:31

I wouldn't beat yourself up about this. You do get to the end of your tether with kids. Esp at night.

He just said he was scared, so what were you to think? My ds is now 5 and he's a bloody pain at night, always waking up saying he's scared of something and at times I snap too.

I doubt this is something that will scar him for life, so don't dwell on it, just put it down to a lesson learnt.

bumbly Fri 09-Oct-09 16:08:13

thanks..

grandma sang something about baby jesus falling asleep

we are not religious btw so curious choice and dont knwo song she means

franklymydear Fri 09-Oct-09 16:12:15

since when was 37.6 a fever?

bumbly Sat 10-Oct-09 14:57:28

since his healthy temp is 36.5

thats when

Romanarama Sat 10-Oct-09 15:11:43

I've done the same loads of times. Poor you - it feels terrible. Now if I'm not sure it's just a whinge I take temp just to see. Just in case. Maybe do that next time just to save a bit of guilt.

MmeGoblindt Sat 10-Oct-09 15:29:36

What's a normal temperature?
Normal body temperatures can vary and are influenced by factors such as exercise, eating, sleeping and the time of the day - the lowest temperature is usually recorded at around 3am, the highest at 6pm.

The average normal body temperature taken in the mouth is 37ºC (98.6ºF), but anywhere between 36.5ºC and 37.2ºC (97.7ºF and 99ºF) may be normal. Normal armpit temperatures are 0.2ºC to 0.3ºC lower than this.

A temperature of 38ºC (100.4ºF) or above is usually considered to be a significant fever - you should measure it again after two to three hours

(From the BBC website)

37.6° is not a fever.

Do you have a nightlight? That helped my DC to sleep better.

I've done this with DD1 being really clingy and whiney the day after a funeral and family party miles away. Put it down to being tired and having met lots of new people/relatives etc.
Next day she had blood in her poo and was in quarantine ward at hospital with severe food poisoning.

Felt like worst mother ever, but you just can't tell when they are ill. Don't beat yourself up. get him a bowl of icecream and he'll forget all about it if he hasn't already!

Dumbledoresgirl Sat 10-Oct-09 15:44:00

37.6 would be a raised temperature if he is normally 36.5 as OP said.

That said, it isn't that high and tbh, we have all been where you are (well, those of us who sometimes lose our patience with our children and/or who value their sleep more highly than others.

How is he generally? eg eating? playing? That would be a more accurate measure of how he is feeling than his temperature.

bumbly Sat 10-Oct-09 16:13:58

his temp rose to 38.9 yest in ear only oddly

then today is 37.7 in one ear and 38 in other

bumbly Sat 10-Oct-09 16:14:18

38.9 in one ear meant to say

MmeGoblindt Sat 10-Oct-09 16:47:44

We all do that at some point, Bumbly. Misread the signals. Once he is older and better able to communicate it will get easier.

Why was he scared? Have you found out yet?

nouveaupauvre Sat 10-Oct-09 21:08:07

i've done this before - wondered why ds was unusually whiny one day and got impatient, only for him to later succumb to fever or something and me to realise that he was clearly coming down with something.
no point in beating yourself up now, just remember next time he does something out of character remind yourself to check if he could be unwell. he's nearly reaching the age when he will be able to tell you himself if he's feeling poorly and then it's a lot easier.

bumbly Sat 10-Oct-09 21:40:43

no never found out
mystery

thanks for support really appreciated!

QOD Sat 10-Oct-09 21:54:37

Oh dear we all do it - once my dd would NOT settle down and watch teletubbies in her pram whilst I did my cleaing job - total nightmare!
That night she was admited to hospital having a convulsion with a temp of 40+
OOOps - but how can we always know!! It was just the start.

My dd's normal temp is 36.9

Don't beat yourself up X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now