Talk

Advanced search

Tips for helping DS1 settle in preschool?

(3 Posts)
MegBusset Fri 09-Oct-09 15:10:55

DS1 (2.7) has been going to pre-school two mornings a week since Sept. We took him out of a different pre-school in June that he had been going to since Easter and not settled at. This one is very lovely IMO and the staff are all making a big effort to settle him in.

He is ok when dropped off (tears but not hysterical) but still not really settling -- will grizzle occasionally, won't accept a snack or drink, won't sit down for circle time or let the staff change his nappy. Apparently this morning he threw a chair across the room and was pulling pictures off the display boards. He is very stubborn and also pretty sensitive and does not like change (if settled doing an activity then he hates having to stop).

I am sure this is very normal but it's all new to me. Does anyone have any tips for helping him settle in? I see all the other new starters (mostly) happily joining in and it makes me very sad to think he isn't enjoying it.

iwantitnow Fri 09-Oct-09 16:20:45

A few points 2 mornings may either be too little or to much, 3/4 mornings may be more regular - are they consecutive days, if not then he may have forgotten by the next time.

Does he have to go? Some boys at my DD's preschool had to come back a term later when they were 3 as they weren't ready. 2.7 years old is quite young.

Can you stay at preschool with him during the morning and slowly reduce your days.

MegBusset Fri 09-Oct-09 21:42:03

Thanks for response.

He goes Tues and Fri mornings -- that's all they have available atm (and all that we can afford!).

He doesn't have to go but I have a 5mo DS2 as well and would dearly love a bit of one-on-one time with him. All DS1's friends of the same age have started pre-school at the same time so it's harder to meet up with other friends.

I stayed for the first couple of sessions but a) it's hard with DS2 there as well and b) if I'm there he's happy playing but won't go near any of the staff. I think that if I go back to staying with him, I'm still going to have to go through the same thing when I do try to leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now