Talk

Advanced search

What life skills do you teach your children?

(3 Posts)
Propeller Fri 09-Oct-09 10:18:06

eg how do you teach them to react to someone who does not show you any respect? eg someone who purposely talks over you; ignores what you say....
and what if you do not have certain life skills yourself? where do you get information/advice to pass unto your child ie how to react in certain situations...

ZZZenAgain Fri 09-Oct-09 10:25:48

I think they mostly learn from your example, watching how you react in certain situations - and later they learn this behaviour (whether for good or ill) poor from their peers.

I suppose if you are unsure yourself in a lot of situations, you might need to look into buying a good book on the subject. I'm not really sure where you could start but I am sure there is a lot out there. Seem to be parental guides to just about anything.

Hope someone with more specific advice comes along. I think you are right to give it some thought. There are courses for self defense for instance which include tips on how to say "no" loudly and clearly and what to do if you feel threatened etc. Maybe that would be a start.

Reallytired Fri 09-Oct-09 10:27:31

I think a lot depends on the age of child. I have taught my son that his body is sacred and no one should touch his body without permission. Unfortunately he has trotted this out when I want to put cream on his ezcema.

I allow my son to experience buying things in shops, ie. he is given so much money and has to choose something he can afford and goes up to the counter and pays for it.

I have taught him to cross roads on his own.

I am not sure what is the best way to teach a child to be assertive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now