Talk

Advanced search

Too young for a single bed?

(14 Posts)
MidgetGem Thu 08-Oct-09 20:34:08

DD 2.1 has been in the bed of her cot/bed for about 4 months. She started waking up in night and when I went to see her her dummies/teddies were on floor and sge was out of quilt and hanging over edge. Last night I put her in a normal single bed and she slept all night and her dummies and teddy was still with her this morning. I was planning to change her over to single bed now thinking maybe she is too big for cot bed but mil has put me off saying she is too young. Just wondered, is it ok to put her in normal single bed now and what age did you put your dc in one?? Thanks!

mazzystartled Thu 08-Oct-09 20:36:11

DS has slept in a single bed since he was 20 months, with no problems.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Thu 08-Oct-09 20:36:24

both boys went into fll size single beds before their 2nd birthdays, worked fine for us but I guess it is what you want to do for your family, no one elses business but your own, especially your MiL!

wuglet Thu 08-Oct-09 20:37:51

DS has been in one since he was 9.5months!
Is fully enclosed on 3 sides (by wall and high ends) and has bedside rail on the other.

DD went into hers aged about 2.5 I think (but she wasn't BF to sleep - so I didn't need to be able to get in the cot with her!)

MidgetGem Thu 08-Oct-09 20:39:51

Phew thanks, that's reassuring, I feel she is ready and she definatley seems more contented in her sleep.

oxocube Thu 08-Oct-09 20:43:37

my kids were about 2 and in a (lowish) single bed

MrsBadger Thu 08-Oct-09 21:10:34

mil is loon grin

we went on holiday when dd was 2.1 and she dismissed the travel cot in favour of the spare bed so we made the leap.

wasn;t a space issue so much as an independence of climbing in/out thing.

Knickers0nmaChoppedOffhead Thu 08-Oct-09 21:12:52

DD went in a single mid sleeper at 2.1.

paisleyleaf Thu 08-Oct-09 21:16:15

My DD went from cot to single bed at 2
The bed was her 2nd birthday present (is that boring)?
She was fine, and sounds like your DD had a good sleep.
You can always put a bed guard on the side if you want.

FranklyIDontGiveAMam Thu 08-Oct-09 21:16:56

not too young. DS' bedroom has his toddler bed and cot bed and ever since we took the sides off the cot bed 15months, he would always move to the guest bed in the middle of the night. No rail either, - but he does fall out regularly and just gets back up without complaining.

moomaa Thu 08-Oct-09 21:17:15

Yes DS was in one about 20 months I guess, he was seriuosly squished in a small cot and someone had given us a full sized single.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 08-Oct-09 21:21:37

Ds1 went into a bed at 18 months. Most of my RL friends put their dcs in one at that age or earlier.

Really depends on the child though. I tried 20mo ds2 in one a couple of weeks ago and it was a disaster - he slept really badly and wailed a hell of a lot (and kept falling out). On the 3rd night I put him back into a cot and have vowed to keep him there until he hits puberty.grin

MidgetGem Thu 08-Oct-09 21:29:02

Thanks for the posts everyone! Will definatley keep her in it, she is there tonight and she looks so snug. Will also confidently explain to mil that she is ready and not too young, cheers!

Monsterspam Thu 08-Oct-09 21:44:10

DD was in one of those Ikea low down beds from her 1st birthday (she hated her cot with a passion!)

She has never fallen out of bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now