Talk

Advanced search

How to make 5 year old more active during winter?

(7 Posts)
strawberrycornetto Thu 08-Oct-09 09:01:27

I am worried my DD is not physically active enough. She's not overweight but I am worried she will end up that way if she doesn't do a bit more. We walk to school and back every day but its not far. She goes to ballet once a week and every weekend we go out at least once to a park etc. We also try to do swimming once a week if possible.

Does this sound like enough? They are pretty active at school too. I am worried that when the weather gets worse, we will not be able to go out as much at the weekends. Is there anything else we can do at home? When she is at home she is inclined to be really sedentary, watching TV, reading books, drawing etc.

Thanks.

3littlefrogs Thu 08-Oct-09 09:03:31

It sounds pretty good to me. No reason to stop being active in winter provided you have outdoor clothes and wellies etc.

BonsoirAnna Thu 08-Oct-09 09:03:51

My DD is nearly 5 and I try to go the park and playground with her every day for an hour to an hour and a half.

I have bought her a mat for practising gymnastics at home - she can clear back the furniture in the sitting room to use it.

Mybox Thu 08-Oct-09 09:05:26

Do you have a garden?

purepurple Thu 08-Oct-09 09:06:37

Buy her a big coat and some wellies and stick her out in the garden.
That's assumimg you have a garden.
Get her to the park if you haven't.
I work in a nursery and we take the children out every day, whatever the weather. We have splash suits so they don't get wet.

starwhores Thu 08-Oct-09 09:08:12

+Trampoline in the garden and dancing in the house.

Children need an hour per day.

strawberrycornetto Thu 08-Oct-09 09:30:32

I think the answer is the good winter clothes - I am obviously too soft grin! We do have a garden but she doesn't really like playing out there. Hopefully she will enjoy it more as her brother gets more interactive (he's 19 months and he's certainly active, he'd be out there all day by choice!!). DO your LOs like being in the garden in the rain? What do they actually do?

I like the idea of the mat, she loves her ballet so perhaps I could do something along those lines. I think she gets more than an hour easily during the week but not always at the weekends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now