Talk

Advanced search

Am I being too harsh on DD?

(6 Posts)
megcleary Wed 07-Oct-09 19:56:18

She was 2 in August and is fine tuning her temper and throwing things at the moment.

All normal I know but in the last few days she has started throwing things in a fit of temper such as dollys buggy, books and her "new favourite toy"

In an attempt to stop this I have taken what ever she has thrown and popped it out of her reach for two minutes she wails, shouts, I explain she waits two minutes ask her to take a deep breath and calm down. Then give it back and we all play nicely again.

I always worry I am being too tough by doing this as she is only 2.

Advice appreciated.

pseudscorner Wed 07-Oct-09 19:58:19

No sounds fine to me. I do similar with DD she was 2 in June.

WowOoo Wed 07-Oct-09 19:59:30

I think that's fine and will hopefully stop her chucking things.
I used to take things away completely and not give them back for a day. I'm just mean!

megcleary Wed 07-Oct-09 20:08:48

Thank you for the replies, the saga will go on.

randomtask Wed 07-Oct-09 20:11:48

That sounds like the perfect sensible parent behaviour. She'll hopefully learn from it plus, otherwise she might throw something bigger that hurts. At the age of 2 I gave my brother a black eye in church by throwing a toy camera at him....

Rosebud05 Wed 07-Oct-09 21:36:58

My dd now responds well to warnings. She's a few months older than yours, but I started this when she began throwing deliberately ie just turned 2. I said that if she throws it again, I'll take it away from her and she won't be allowed it for x amount of time. Big tears etc when it was taken away, so i explained why. This gives her a chance to control the situation through her behaviour and learn that you will carry through a threat. I very rarely have to do more than threaten now, even when she's in very high spirits.
It's not being too tough - it's showing them that their behaviour has consequences and that they can make choices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now