Talk

Advanced search

Just curious... has anyone else's baby substituted walking on hands and feet for crawling/bum shuffling?

(9 Posts)
BloodRedTulips Wed 07-Oct-09 19:33:11

Because i haven't come across anyone who'd ever seen a baby do it before!

ds2 knows how to crawl but refuses to do so, he walks on his hands and feet waving his bum in the air... a friend described it as being like Mowgli in the Disney version of The Jungle Book and it really is grin

he's almost 8 months btw and has been doing this since he was barely 7 months

gottasmile Wed 07-Oct-09 22:24:11

My ds did this. He was crawling normally from 8 months, then after a couple of months out of the blue one day, it seemed to hurt his knees.

My doctor said I should have his knees x-rayed, so I did, but there seemed to be nothing wrong. He then started crawling on his hands and feet and did so until he walked at 14 months!

His knees seem fine now (he's 5 years old now) so I have no idea why he did it, other than it just hurt his knees to crawl on them.

I'm sure your ds is fine, it does look funny though!

gingerwine Wed 07-Oct-09 23:17:04

My eldest DS did this too. He was also just 7 months and just seemed to like putting his feet rather than his knees on the floor. He walked at 11 months so it was short lived but looked hilarious.

I don't think it is a problem, just funny. I would video it if you can. I wish we had!

BloodRedTulips Thu 08-Oct-09 10:08:27

we've videoed it already as he's already attempting to stand by himself and cruise so it may not be long before he walks and i wanted to be able to show him when he's older

i googled it last night and apparently it's called 'bear walking'... you learn something new every day grin

shock to the system having a mover this early though... my older two were lazy lumps so i was completely unprepared for this!

nouveaupauvre Sat 10-Oct-09 21:25:16

ds did it too, he was an early walker and this seemed to be a prelude to getting up on his feet - gingerwine is right, video it!

mwff Sat 10-Oct-09 21:29:01

dd2 did a weird hybrid crawl with one knee down the other up. it was half-arsed, tbh, she was never really that into/good at it, much keener to get up on her feet.

BloodRedTulips Mon 12-Oct-09 10:25:17

lol at half arsed... ds2 is a bit like that, he has to sit down every 2 feet or so and have a think about things.

it he's sees a cat he's off like a shot though... i think he may do it as he sees all the cats walking on four legs and thinks that's the right way to do it

my children are slightly on the feral side blush

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 12-Oct-09 10:29:00

Dd does this, and has done since she was 6 months. It looks really odd - she can crawl normally too - she just prefers to do it on all fours. Strange child.

difficultdecision Mon 12-Oct-09 13:44:47

I did it and so did DS - apparently I found it quicker, I think he just realised quickly on that we found it hilarious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now