Talk

Advanced search

does anyone give there children omega 3

(29 Posts)
mumof2rugrats Wed 07-Oct-09 11:22:48

i dont know if this is the right place for this
iv just started to give my dd1 6yrs omega 3 medicine to try and help her concerntrate at school as she is being naughty at school and home and does no work at school as she cant concerntrate for more than a min
has anyone else tried omega 3 and has it worked

Effilump Wed 07-Oct-09 11:28:19

It was used in a trial at my sons school and it was shown to improve behaviour and concentration, and a high proportion of the kids at that school have ADHD and other problems.

mumof2rugrats Wed 07-Oct-09 12:15:26

i hope it works for my dd as i dont know what else to do both me and the school have done reward charts and that doesnt work

Krafty Wed 07-Oct-09 14:24:49

Right up until the middle of year 2 my daughter used to play up.
I was called in to see the teacher at least 3 times a week then I started to give her omega 3 and both the teacher and I could not believe it! She carmed right down and has been top of all her classes ever since.
I still give her the omega, if I don't she starts to play up again.

mumof2rugrats Wed 07-Oct-09 15:50:09

what way do you give her omega 3 iv just got something called abidec and its a syrup

shockers Wed 07-Oct-09 15:58:33

I give mine 'Eye Q' capsules. Seems to work for us.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 07-Oct-09 15:58:47

Is this a serious thread or is this another example of 'marketing by stealth'?

mumof2rugrats Wed 07-Oct-09 16:36:25

no im serious

how much and where do you get eye Q capsules from

claricebeansmum Wed 07-Oct-09 16:45:18

Please take a moment to read Ben Goldacre on this topic.

www.badscience.net/2008/09/dave-ford-from-durham-council-plays-at-being-a-scientist-again/

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that fish oils make an difference to a child's behavior or development.

If you read Ben's book Bad Science you will also discover the complete waste of time and money all supplements are.

shockers Wed 07-Oct-09 17:28:13

I started to give fish oil supplements on the advice of a homeopath. My DD has feotal alcahol syndrome ( we adopted her) I was sceptical but was prepared to try anything that would help her attention span. I found a marked difference within a couple of months but that may have happened anyway. She also eats a good diet. She now takes a 'maintenance' level lower than the dose on the bottle. It might be nonsense but I think it works for MY child so I will carry on.
( mumof2-I get it from Boots)

HowlingAtTheMoon Wed 07-Oct-09 17:31:44

I have read Ben Goldacre and usually agree with him. I don't disagree with him this time either but I do give both my DSs fish oils with vitamins as fish oils are good for you in more than one way.

And just because there is no scientific evidence to back it up yet doesn't actually mean that it doesn't help. It certainly doesn't appear to be harming them.

mumof2rugrats Wed 07-Oct-09 18:32:43

iv heard alot of possitive results from people i know that have used the fish oils but wanted more advise i will carry on giving dd the fish oils as it cant make anything worse thank you all for your help

stuffitllllama Wed 07-Oct-09 18:38:24

Can I suggest that you find a zinc supplement. I've found that it helps concentration very much indeed. You give it before bedtime, as it can make you feel a little sleepy. If the concentration is too high, it can feel nauseous, so go with a lower dose first.

They aren't expensive and you can take them yourself for a couple of days so you know what they feel like.

I would go with zinc every time for an immediate and noticeable effect. I give it specifically for concentration and focus and not brain power.

stuffitllllama Wed 07-Oct-09 18:40:28

Ben Goldacre has his own issues. Some of the trials he swears by are condemned as inadequate by people even he would call experts. I don't think you need to worry about what he says.

ICANDOTHAT Wed 07-Oct-09 20:02:34

My ds2 is ADHD. I give him Omega, 3,6 & 9 supplements in the form of "EyeQ" strawberry chewables, Eskimo Kids are also good, but very fishy and oily. "Well Kids" are general vitamins and Bassets do a Vitamin C with Zinc that were recommended to me by the doc - all avail at Tescos (my son is not on any medication) They have definitely helped him a lot. I don't listen to anything about trials anymore, I have my personal experience to go on and they have worked for us. The fact is our brain needs these essential fatty oils to function 'properly', so unless your child is eating mackerel, salmon and sardines on a regular basis, they need them. Am also aware they come in other food stuffs too before I am flamed grin

Stuff, I didn't think you could give Zinc only supplements to kids under 12 - What make do you use?

stuffitllllama Thu 08-Oct-09 16:57:01

Ican, sorry, have only just seen this.

I use gnc plus some generic thing, I can't remember the name.

Why did you think that? Have been giving zinc since Y4. I've never heard that. I wonder why. It's just so helpful.

ICANDOTHAT Thu 08-Oct-09 17:07:18

Stuff It's only what I've read on the back on the packets .... may be the one you use is ok for kids. What dosage are they? Thanks for info

ramonaquimby Thu 08-Oct-09 17:08:55

i think it just makes parents feel that they are doing something, I too am dubious

stuffitllllama Thu 08-Oct-09 17:12:07

Oh my gosh, have never heard that ever. I started with 15mg and it's 30 now. Quite a lot but one of them definitely had a deficiency. Will just check those numbers and confirm.

Quimby: I told no one outside the family and it was significantly noted at the school: improved concentration featured in the report.

stuffitllllama Thu 08-Oct-09 17:14:58

Yes, it's 30.

stuffitllllama Thu 08-Oct-09 17:17:24

<bores everyone to death>

but not every day, about three times a week

ICANDOTHAT Thu 08-Oct-09 17:44:50

and does it say they are ok for kids ?

stuffitllllama Thu 08-Oct-09 17:51:38

It doesn't say they aren't ok but I think I know the issue: zinc can deplete copper which is used for iron storage.

Tinkjon Thu 08-Oct-09 22:30:52

If a child has salmon once a week, is that enough Omega 3? And can they take Omega 3 if they are having salmon once a week or can you overdose on it?

piscesmoon Thu 08-Oct-09 22:55:17

I suggested it to mine but they refused so we never got any further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now