Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good toddler survival guide?

(9 Posts)
Vinomum Tue 06-Oct-09 19:44:37

My 2.9 yo old ds is lovely most of the time but lately his behaviour has really deterioriated. He's started biting his best friend at nursery and whenever he's asked to do anything he either ignores you completely or shouts 'NO!'. He does this to any adults and DH and I are getting really fed up and embarrassed by it all.

We want to nip this in the bud before it gets worse and our first step is to try and find a book to guide us through these hideous toddler years. Can anyone recommend anything that's been tried and tested with dealing with toddler tantrums and bad behaviour?

puredeedbrilliant Tue 06-Oct-09 19:57:51

My little one is 19 months and has been a little monkey, so I got the Gina Ford book on Toddlers. I know that there are different schools of thoughts about Gina but to be honest there's some good stuff in it. All the best and it defo sounds like its his age

Vinomum Tue 06-Oct-09 20:00:55

Thanks puredeed. DH and I aren't particular devotees of any child psychologist but from what I've heard our parenting 'beliefs' seem to link in with Gina Ford, so I'll give her a go!

Doozle Tue 06-Oct-09 20:02:04

Toddler Taming is definitely the best book I've read on this.

morningpaper Tue 06-Oct-09 20:02:30

Mumsnet Guide to Toddlers written by a crack team of experts from the bleeding edge of parenting advice

has lots of behavioural issues

Crapweasel Tue 06-Oct-09 20:07:46

I didn't like Toddler Taming personally. I didn't feel it offered any useful strategies for dealing with the problems. And I know they're all little monsters challenging at that age thanks Dr Green, that's what Mumsnet is for!

Mumsnet Guide is good I think, though MP "would say that, wouldn't she" grin

Vinomum Tue 06-Oct-09 20:11:34

Are these books ones that will give you actual advice on dealing with bad behaviour? Or are they just giving general advice on how to handle toddlers?

MajorMajor Tue 06-Oct-09 20:12:22

Agree with Doozle - Toddler Taming works for me! It explains what a toddler is thinking, as well as how to deal with the behaviour.

BellaBear Tue 06-Oct-09 20:16:32

I like the MN one.

Also Penelope Leach Your Baby & Child (or something similar) - the second half is all about toddlers and is very good at explaining why toddlers behave as they do and therefore what things you should and shouldn't say and do to get them to do what you want!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now