Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is 'TIME OUT' just a phase?

(14 Posts)
madmarchhare Thu 09-Jun-05 16:54:36

as in, in ten years time it will be something else. What do you think?

beetroot Thu 09-Jun-05 17:01:07

Message withdrawn

purpleturtle Thu 09-Jun-05 17:01:31

a smack

vickiyumyum Thu 09-Jun-05 17:03:37

we don't have time out in our house, it just ddn't work. i have found the only thing that works is the naughty step!
i know some of you will disagree with this, but if we call it time out and move them to another room or sit them on a chair its not as effective as warning them once and then taking them to the naughty step and explaining what they have done wrong. they can then move away once they have apologised and been there for the set amount of time.

Twiglett Thu 09-Jun-05 17:05:00

naughty step is time out by another name though isn't it?

beetroot Thu 09-Jun-05 17:05:18

Message withdrawn

vickiyumyum Thu 09-Jun-05 17:09:22

i know but if we call it time out it doesn't work, particularly for my 7 year old. but if i call it the naughty step he immediatley knows that he has done wrong.
ds2 has picked up on his brother not reacting to time out and wasn't bothered by it, but now we call it the naughty step, as soon as i say 'if you do *** agin you will sit on the naughty step and think about what it is you have done wrong', i generally don't have to put them there as just threatening them with it is enough.

madmarchhare Thu 09-Jun-05 17:18:14

beetroot, same as PT, it was a smack.

madmarchhare Thu 09-Jun-05 17:19:40

I just think that with all these programmes at the moment, it seems the 'fashionable' thing to do.

Gwenick Thu 09-Jun-05 17:22:33

With DS1 (4 3/4yrs) we 'tried' naughty step/timeout, tried shouting and had to 'resort' to smacking.. (thankfully VERY rarely now - usually just the 'naughty room' does for him now).

DS2 (18 months( is a different kettle of fish - even HALF raise you voice to him and he cry's and a few minutes on the naughty step and he's sorted - although did give him a little 'tap' on the hand today as he was repeatedly being very naughty

happymerryberries Thu 09-Jun-05 17:27:16

A smacked behind when I was a child.

Dd has to be sent to her room and has pocket money docked from time to time.

ds is much more easily 'chasened' and a telling off does it at the moment.

In my more cynical moment when I'm teaching I wonder if some of the kids I work wil have ever had any consistant rules.....sigh.

madmarchhare Thu 09-Jun-05 18:53:34

So do you think that more kids are actually experiencing time out from the word go or is it as a result of other forms not working?

alhambra Thu 09-Jun-05 20:27:55

I think it's used from the word go. It doesn't punish, which the naughty step does. For instance, if your kids are being hyper and annoying because they are tired, and that is making them unsafe and you really irritated, is that naughty? I don't think so - but they can do time out to cool down. It's a thing to stop parents reaching boiling point, and get kids to have some pause for thought. But I wouldn't do it with an under 3, because they don't even realise they feel differently from you. I am an advocate when I remember. When I don't I end up saying shut up shut up shut up to my kids, which is really empowered innit.

Hulababy Fri 10-Jun-05 13:49:08

We had time out or equivalent when growing up. Being sent to our room, or ignored whilst having a tantrum was the norm for us. My parents didn't smack even then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now