Talk

Advanced search

Some dummy support appreciated?

(14 Posts)
slimeoncrazydemon Tue 06-Oct-09 08:41:02

Message withdrawn

TheLemur Tue 06-Oct-09 11:20:59

Keep going, you are doing brilliantly! It took my DS (2.1) about 5 days of learning to settle himself then he was fine, only asked for it for another day or two after that

Half an hour crying is not too bad and you did well to be so strong and not give in, especially at night and if you are ill. Next time (if there is a next time) he won't cry for anywhere near as long so you are definitely doing the right thing.

The other day my DS was crying in his cot 'dummy dummy!' and I went in to explain he's a big boy now etc, but it turned out he was saying 'tummy tummy!' he wanted me to turn him to lie on his tummy! I think basically they adapt to not having a dummy very quickly - a lot quicker than we do - and a lot of the dummy dependence is in our heads as parents.

Don't cave in. You are through the worst of it and very nearly out the other side. By this weekend the dummy will be a distant memory!

mumtoem Tue 06-Oct-09 11:26:44

Would it help if you threw every dummy in the bin? Then you will not be able to have a weak moment in the middle of the night.

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 06-Oct-09 12:10:24

Mumtoem,you are a wise woman indeed. IMHO, it would confuse him if he could have it when it suited him. I am a bit shock at his dad taking the unilateral decision to bin them though.

slimeoncrazydemon Tue 06-Oct-09 13:55:20

Message withdrawn

starwhores Tue 06-Oct-09 14:00:41

CYou should always swap a dummy for sometihng else, it is an addiction. Perhaps you and ds can go shopping for a big boy toy to say well done for giving up your dummy.

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 06-Oct-09 14:03:10

Dare I say it supernanny does this ting about sending the dummies off to babies who need them a bit like the tooth fairy and he gets sent a small present in return.

allaboutme Tue 06-Oct-09 14:03:43

a new teddy to say well done for being a big boy? he can cuddle it in bed when he needs comfort...

colditz Tue 06-Oct-09 14:04:41

How cruel.

DorotheaPlentighoul Tue 06-Oct-09 14:09:31

God, I so, so sympathise and am sending HUGE good luck wishes to you. We have not yet tried to take DS's dummies away (he is 2.2) but he loves them in a deep, deep way, talks through 'em etc, draws such comfort from them -- just as you say about your DS. I know it will be really tough and time is ticking on, we must do it soon. <worries>

slimeoncrazydemon Tue 06-Oct-09 14:15:44

Message withdrawn

starwhores Tue 06-Oct-09 14:16:42

Doro I thoroughly recommend Christmas to swap the dummy for something that your ds really wants. Both my boys gave theirs up without any tears this way.

starwhores Tue 06-Oct-09 14:18:54

Dummies in the mouth all the time also help teeth protrude and speech be mispronounced as they can't get their tongues to the roof of the mouth or behind the teeth.

Slime, I do think he'll understand reward and a gift for doing something, you may be surprised. My ds did and he was only 2.5.

pigletmania Tue 06-Oct-09 15:28:04

I have managed to get the dummy off dd 2.7years during the day, but night no not yet, not brave enough at the moment. I will do in a couple of months time, alone with the night bottle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now