Talk

Advanced search

Argh I have a biter!

(7 Posts)
Alibooobaandthe40Phantoms Mon 05-Oct-09 23:56:03

DS is 14 mo. He is a lovely, cheerful, sociable little chap, but he's recently started biting. First it was just me and DH and seemed to be teething related, but it's got worse in the last 2 weeks and last week he bit another child.

We have always told him no in a firm voice without smiling but it doesn't appear to have done any good.
The child he bit is his favourite little playmate, I am great friends with this little girl's Mum and we spend time with them once or twice a week. The Mum was fine about it, but I was mortified and I'm so desperate for it not to happen again.
He mainly does it when he gets over excited, rather than when he is cross/grumpy.

Any advice very gratefully received!

TanteRose Tue 06-Oct-09 05:36:22

Just keep saying no and removing from the situation. You may have to do this about a million times...he won't get cause/consequence for a while yet.
Watch him like a hawk and don't let him get too excited, if that is what pushes him to bite.
tis a phase - it will pass.

Alibooobaandthe40Phantoms Tue 06-Oct-09 10:10:32

Thanks - that is the problem, he is too young to really grasp that he's being told off.

I will persevere!

Snotmonster Wed 07-Oct-09 05:24:23

Hi my DS is also 14mo and has done the same. I am doing the same thing but to no avail yet - he now turns round and wags his finger at me of course with a smile on his face. So any other suggestions would be welcome!

feetheart Wed 07-Oct-09 06:13:21

My DS did this at about this age. Always got a firm 'No biting' and taken away and sat on the floor (even if I just turned him round and sat him down). Had to watch him like a hawk and often be 2 steps behind him so I could intervene which is VERY wearing when you just want to sit down and have a cup of tea!
In the end another child sorted it out - he bit her and made her cry, 10mins later he wanted to play and she shoved him in the chest hard enough to push him over. I wasn't sympathetic and he seemed to get the message as he never bit another child again. Could have been coincidence though

He's now nearly 4 and a lovely, sweet, caring little soul.
Its a phase but a very wearing one - good luck

BertieBotts Thu 08-Oct-09 20:26:54

Sorry to bump when this seems to have been sorted but I have the same problem - my 1yo bites me all the time, sometimes through teething (teething gel seems to help or some crunchy food like apple or cucumber) but sometimes when he wants my attention blush I don't know how to get the message to him that it is not a good way to get my attention. He understands no but in this instance does not listen! And I can't keep quiet and ignore him, because it hurts and anyway it makes him do it more.

I can't see time out working at this age (which is what others have suggested) and I don't really want to do time out anyway, more UP/gentle discipline/natural consequences.

Sunshinemummified Thu 08-Oct-09 20:38:42

Can I just mention something my MIL told me. She used to own a nursery and she has told me that every biter they had had turned out to have problems with their ears and they were biting as it helped alleviate the pain. Hope you find a solution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now