Talk

Advanced search

What can your 2/3yr old do?

(35 Posts)
Claire2009 Mon 05-Oct-09 23:14:05

Just wondering really.

DS is 2.5yo, just about talking in one words, has two words that are more than one word (and me, i wanna bit) his pronounciation isn't great but we are awaiting S&L.

Other than his speech I'm not really sure what he should, or could be doing, he goes to nursery one morning a week and enjoys that, and we do lots at home, out of the home too.

FeatheredHeart Mon 05-Oct-09 23:19:51

I think they are supposed on average to be able to do two words at that stage as I asked the dr recently. Wouldn't worry about it too much though. Ours is 2yrs 8 mo and speech has only recently taken off but now seems to be exploding and all of a sudden we are getting 3 and occasionally 4 words at a time in all sorts of combinations. I think if he's still on single words when approaching 3 you might want to get him checked out.

moaningminniewhingesagain Mon 05-Oct-09 23:19:59

My DD is 2.6, she was slow to start talking but now chatters away in sentences. Lots of mispronunciation though, I have to translate most of it for DH or anyone else.

She asks for food but cannot choose between two things offered.

She is not potty trained in the slightest but will (usually) declare when she has had a poo.

She likes to scribble on the newspaper( I doing the sossword Mummy)and the walls.

Claire2009 Mon 05-Oct-09 23:29:14

DS is trained, daytime, has been for a month or so, he was stripping himself and taking himself to the potty of his own accord so I kinda went with the flow and he done it, he either takes himself to the toilet or tells me "Maaaaaa, poo" and I take him.

He likes to scribble on the walls, rub juice/food into his hair/the sofa ..anywhere really ..

He doesn't ask for food, but if I ask DD "Do you want crisps?" Ds shouts "And meeee" so he gets it too grin If I ask him I just get a "Yeahhh" or "Noooo".

Can't think of anything else, just unsure what is the 'norm'

moaningminniewhingesagain Mon 05-Oct-09 23:35:25

If I have crisps/treats she will say 'where's DD's?' She used to just shout 'some', as in do you want some?

I have a 9mo too and she likes to mother him a lot.

I'm not entirely sure what the norm is either, as long as I see others her age and she seems in front of some of them, and behind others, I figure she's probably alrightgrin

Claire2009 Mon 05-Oct-09 23:43:03

Ahh How cute!
I have a 3.7yo DD also and DD mothers DS a fair bit! She was trying to convince him to go in the buggy earlier and be her baby but he was having none of it!

He's quite a loner when playing, he's getting better but has always gone off doing his own thing and ignored the other kids playing, only really gone up to them if he wanted a particular toy they had! Even at nursery he's just getting into doing things with the others now (he goes one morning a week) but today he was rolling around the floor laughing to himself while the others were singing in a circle on the other side of the room ..

Scottie22 Tue 06-Oct-09 20:20:39

My dd has motor skill problems so I do like to compare what others are doing and I'm amazed at the difference between children in this age group! Some have amazing fine motor skills - I saw 2 girls aged 24 months today holding a pen with a perfect adult type grip and drawing quite precisely. Others have clear speech, some like my dd talk a lot but leave out sounds from words, some don't really talk at all!

We see a SALT and she said this age group varies a great deal - usually 2 word sentences by 2 is rule of thumb. She said many children have caught up by 3 years though smile

Claire2009 Tue 06-Oct-09 23:48:02

Thanks Scottie22, DS can catch and throw really well too, not so good at holding a pen/paintbrush.

Carrotfly Tue 06-Oct-09 23:54:20

At 2.9 my LO is not really very verbal. Can say a few words that really only close family can understand. We see a SALT too.

Understands everything and plays well by himself, as well as with siblings. Imaginative play is good.

Can barely hold a knife and fork properly, has a poor appetite unless choc choc is involved.

Jigsaws are good, but drawing or writing anything ... nah !

Can kick and throw a ball, but cant easily remove clothes (thank god)

I think this shows how different we are.

Cassidycat Wed 07-Oct-09 09:34:28

Hi Claire, we were in a similar situation with our little boy 6 months ago. He hadn't progressed or learnt any new words since about 18m and at 2 1/2 was only saying single words and then only maybe about 40 different ones. Children are all so different and do things in their own time making it really hard for us mums to know when to try to seek help. I was getting twitchy about his speech (or lack of it) despite being a GP. Then in April he suddenly started chattering and has been none stop since!!! Now DH often wishes that he was quieter again and wouln't ask so many many questions....On hols last month:

DS- why has that man got such a big tummy dad?
DH - I don't know, some people have little tummies and some people big tummies
DS - I know, there must be a baby in there!!!! blush

Anyway, as Featherhead suggests I would probably give it a little longer so long as he's making himself understood in other ways and you are happy about his hearing smile.

Claire2009 Wed 07-Oct-09 22:47:06

Thanks all!

Rollmops Thu 08-Oct-09 08:49:30

Why oh why are you giving 2 year old crisps??? Vile non-food [yuckkkk].

MarthaFarquhar Thu 08-Oct-09 08:51:24

Sorry, was someone asking for nutritional advice?

I'm sure the OP's DS doth not live by crisps alone.

troutpout Thu 08-Oct-09 08:54:44

lol at 'living by crisps alone'
I would if i could grin

TwoSilverBalloons Thu 08-Oct-09 10:04:55

Crisps??? Crisps??? OMG call the police NOW!!!

My dc's have never even seen anything other than organic steamed veg and fish that I grew/caught myself.

Rollmops Thu 08-Oct-09 11:12:19

But they TASTE horrible, never mind nutrition, it's the vile vile taste..... [gag]

cktwo Thu 08-Oct-09 11:19:41

Crisps = yum yum
Poo = vile vile taste
wink

BornToFolk Thu 08-Oct-09 11:25:19

Crisps are delicious! Part of a balanced diet and all that...

DS is two next week. He can do 4 or 5 word sentances but they tend to follow the same stucture and he uses "dis one" a lot. So we get lots of "Henny have it dis one" pointing at what he wants or "Henny have it dis one car" for something specific.

He can kick and throw a ball (and anything else he can get his hands on!) and can catch if he pays attention.

He can draw straight lines and circles on request.

He recognises "H". I was doing some writing for him, writing out "Henry", and "Mummy" and "Daddy" and pointing out the letters, and now if he sees an "H" on a sign, or on the computer keyboard he points and says "H for Henny".

Can't play by himself for more than a couple of minutes, doesn't really do imaginative play and when he does, he has to really be led.

Has shown no real interest in potty training.

Can take off a jacket and tries to pull up trousers.

redLadyhood Thu 08-Oct-09 11:26:57

Crisps are not non food - they contain carbs etc.

Sweets haribo style are non food as they are have no nutrition whatsoever

StealthPolarBear Thu 08-Oct-09 11:34:27

DS is 2y5m and can talk in simple sentences "Daddy your toast is ready" one of themost complex. up to half his words aren't understandable by anyone other than me & DH.
good climber
can undress alone (inc nappy shock) and dress with help
can count to ten but only just getting to grip with what numbers symbolise iyswim
learning colours, knows blue and green, getting there with red, rest a complete guess
scribbles only when given a pencil
canfollow instructions (take off your wellies and put them at the front door)
cankick, throw a ball and working on catching
imaginative play good only in last couple of months
not potty trained, tells us he's done a poo and now and again says he wants to use potty, but never does
can hear anice cream being opened in another room

carmenelectra Thu 08-Oct-09 12:10:25

My ds aged 2 and 1mth has really 'come on' all of a sudden. Talks in little sentences like"More grapes, please" and "What's that?".

Can count to ten with us counting with him but sometimes gets muddled in the middle.

Not potty trained at all.

Asks for food and gets all excited the little scavenger" MMm nice biscuit, more!"

Can kick a football like a pro.

Plays lovely on his own for a while with his cars. He is a bright little lad.

redLadyhood Thu 08-Oct-09 12:41:24

dd, 2 next month, can say these phrases;'Who's that?' 'Whats that?' 'Where is it?' 'There it is'

Can say; mama (don't know why when we say mummy, I think she's Italien grin), daddy, bella (the dog) kisses, cheese, bannana, bisuit, milk, drink, sit, nana and some of our friends names.

Feeds herself, drinks from an open cup, spills things on purpose so she clear them up!

Understands a lot of what I say and can follow instructions - she is fiercley independent so most of the time I tell her what needs to happen and she can sort most of it out herself (eg 'dd we going to the park, get your coat and shoes. Next time I see her she has her shoes on (if velcro, sometimes on the right feet!) and she is giving me her coat. Then I tell her to get my shoes grin

Kicks and trys to bounce a ball. You wouldn't want her in your cricket team though as she cannot catch a thing!

Can take clothes off (and nappy) and is just starting to dress herself but she can't get past pulling the top over her head and her trousers normally end up back to front.

Feeds herself but doesn't use a knife

redLadyhood Thu 08-Oct-09 13:43:13

She also knows most parts of the body

StealthPolarBear Thu 08-Oct-09 13:50:41

Oh and I once explained to DS that he'd had a dream when he woke up upset one night. He can now tell us he's had "deam" to tug on the heartstrings and get himself into our bed at 5am - crafty

MarthaFarquhar Thu 08-Oct-09 15:56:50

DD 2.7:
Can't throw/kick a ball
Can only do the most basic of scribbles
Can undress bottom half, but can't dress self at all
Can use a spoon/fork but not a knife
Nowhere near potty trained
Can't recognise letter/number symbols
Likes pretend play, but gets bored quickly with most other toys

She can speak very clearly in long, full sentences eg "Mummy, do you think that our cat looks like Mog? I do", "Teddy absolutely must go to bed, as it is very dark and he is tired". Clearly she has been channelling all her efforts down one avenue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now