Talk

Advanced search

10 mo wanting constant 1-2-1 attention

(6 Posts)
weaselbudge Mon 05-Oct-09 13:59:50

I'm sure that most of you will tell me this is normal but my 10 mo has suddenly got really clingy and wants to either be carried or is only satisfied when i am on the floor singing/playing with him. If I put him down for one second (eg to boil a kettle or hang up washing (even with him still close by)) he starts crying inconsolably.
He has always been quite good at playing by himself until now.

He doesn't even like being put in his pushchair anymore unless the walk is very short and very stimulating (lots and lots of things to see and lots of talking by me). He used to love walks!

Is this a phase or should i be doing something to "break the cycle"???

FernieB Mon 05-Oct-09 15:08:13

A phase! Go with it. He thinks you're wonderful now and can't bear to be without you. It'll be different when he's 14.

Stigaloid Mon 05-Oct-09 15:24:11

It is a phase. You can start by playing peek a boo with him and moving further away. Hide behind the door and play peek a boo. Make the hides a little longer each time but make it known you are there (a giggle etc). If you leave the room still talk to him so he can hear your voice and know that whilst you are not in sight, you are in ear shot.

It will pass. He will get to 2 and start telling you to go away and stop singing at him. (which is what i currently get. Finger pointing and 'no mummy. stop it!' when i dare join in on Baa Baa Black Sheep).

babyOcho Mon 05-Oct-09 15:29:38

Same thing when my DD hit 10mo and started crawling at the same time.

It's hard and a phase.. it does pass, and can come back again!

Also, they get a bit clingy when ill or something happens (eg. DD gets a bit clingy when DP goes away for work.)

BornToFolk Mon 05-Oct-09 15:33:07

It's a phase...but it might be a long one. DS was like this and we had a tough few months. He's nearly two now and better but still won't really play by himself or be left alone in a room for any length of time.

One thing I found that helped when DS was that age was not making too much of a big deal out of leaving him. I used to give him a big kiss and cuddle when I got back to him which I think was telling him that Mummy leaving the room was bad. When I realised this I just said "right, just popping to the loo, I'll be back in a minute", then came back in with a "Ok, I'm back, shall we play with the bricks" and got on with whatever we were doing. It did get better after that, but it was something he had to grow out of really.

Dominique07 Mon 05-Oct-09 17:21:49

Yes - it seems to hit the 10 month mark. My 'friend' suddenly asked me to look after her child at this phase and then suggested I'd done something to make him clingy/regress!
It was a nightmare.
I remember my DS being pretty clingy at 10 mo too. I just ended up carrying him around a lot!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now