Talk

Advanced search

Right wise ones swearing two year old how do we stop it?

(13 Posts)
megcleary Sun 04-Oct-09 20:16:35

DD was having "issues" with dolly fitting into some shoes and clearly said "fug it".

I ignored it and later as a book she was trying to get back on a shelf kept slipping she said "cheese us christ".

Now I have rarely used any swear words around her mainly toe stubbing etc but DH has been less well behaved!

So I have ignored it bollacked DH (when she was out of earshot!!) and am pondering what to do next continue to ignore or ask her not to use it.
Any advice.

HKT Sun 04-Oct-09 20:24:10

Make sure dh curbs his language around her, then ignore it
If you make an issue of it, she'll know how to wind you up with it!

PurpleEgluggedblood Sun 04-Oct-09 20:27:20

I am currently going through this with DS2. Unfortunately he has very clear speech.

He is currently saying Silly Bugger. That is from me. blush

Much worse the other day he said Fucks Sake. THat one is DH.

I am going for the ignore. Although he keeps just saying silly bugger, louder and louder to try and get a reaction.

megcleary Sun 04-Oct-09 20:37:19

Will continues to ignore then ta smile

girlsyearapart Sun 04-Oct-09 20:56:53

Yep same here. Had 'fucks sake' from dd1 aged 2.1 this evening.

DH had been trying to do some plumbing which had gone wrong and was swearing at the top of his voice so we could clearly hear even though we were on another floor!

I said 'No don't say that Daddy was being naughty to say that. Silly Daddy.'

Luckily she went with the repetition of 'Silly Daddy' rather than the ffs.

But overall I think ignore. I really remember my nephew doing this.

aarghhelp Tue 06-Oct-09 11:09:27

heh I have been warning DH that unless he curbs his tongue round DS we are going to have problems in a few months time (sigh)

starwhores Tue 06-Oct-09 11:12:35

My dss used to say 'for jesus out loud' and 'cry sake'. Just ignore it, it may go away.

crokky Tue 06-Oct-09 11:14:13

I had "fuckit" at 16/17 months with my DD shock (perfectly prounounced btw - you were lucky to get fug it instead!). I persuaded her that the word she was looking for was "bucket" or "broke it". She seemed to accept this easily. Which was fortunate as "fuckit" was one of her favourite words used in context!!!

My mum also said the same word infront of 3yo DS! We actually said granny had lost her bucket and we went to her house and found a bucket to prove to DS that was the problem!

theyoungvisiter Tue 06-Oct-09 11:14:36

ignore ignore ignore - if you make it a big deal they will do it more!

DS1 has started saying "oh bumpers" a la Chuggington, which is rather sweet grin

I quite like Cheese Us Christ - I might start using that one myself!

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 06-Oct-09 11:36:19

Make up a nonsense word e.g. ''mufflewump''.

Use it as a swear word. Act guilty each time you say it and make a big fuss.

Hopefully, dc will copy it.

ps. think of a word that will still sound nonsense with a typical child's pronounciation wink

starwhores Tue 06-Oct-09 11:42:19

Oh yes we have 'Honeybunny' which is a terrible word for my dd, she had said stupid bloody idiot!

daisy71 Tue 06-Oct-09 13:11:02

Awful but it's so hard not to laugh isn't it? (or is that just me). A few months ago now, my DD was in the bath. I threw in a doll for her to play with to which she said 'it's all wet now you silly arsehole!'
I agree in general about ignoring, but open mouthed, it was instinctive for me to say 'what did you say?' I explained that it was a naughty word and luckily, she hasn't said it since. She did say 'jesus christ' this morning though-that was from me oops! I ignored that one.

Tinkjon Thu 08-Oct-09 22:38:25

LOL, Daisy! It doesn't bother me at all, I think it's hilarious. I just make sure that DC understands it's not ok to say outside the hosue and then what's the big deal? It's only a word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now