Talk

Advanced search

Night waking at 12 months - night terrors?

(4 Posts)
Millsie1 Sat 03-Oct-09 19:14:30

DD wakes in the night still at 12 months. This would be cope-able with if it were just once, but it is many, many times. The Paediatrician here (Switzerland) says that she is experiencing night terrors as it seems that she is almost crying in her sleep. Has anyone else's child suffered from this?

She thrashes and coughs and cries out and needs to be cuddled in order to relax and go "back to sleep" though she never really seems fully awake. She does this, on average, 5 times per night. She goes down beautifully at 7pm without even the slightest whinge, so I don't think she's actually scared of bed. She eats well, so I don't think she's hungry. The paediatrician suggested that I sleep in her room to assuage her anxiety - but we have tried this when on holiday and she seemed to wake more if I was in her room - not less.

She has "slept through" approximately 3 times in her life - so she is capable of it! I am pretty much at my wits end. Any ideas anyone????

shish Sat 03-Oct-09 19:35:50

My ds1 suffered with night terrors around this age but not that frquently. When it did happen it was once in the night and it was almost like he was fitting in his sleep. No amount of comforting would help and you couldn't wake him - that would just make it worse. We were told we had to let it ride out. Then he would just settle back for the night.

What your dd has sounds different if she is waking so frequently every night. Can you get a second opinion??

linlee Sat 03-Oct-09 21:27:17

Hi Millsie1
I'm convinced my 5 month old ds sometimes suffers from night terrors, suddenly starts screaming really loudly without opening his eyes and usually falls asleep again just as quickly if I rock and shush him and put a dummy in his mouth.
I read that it tends to happen if the child is over tired and have noticed it happens whenever I haven't managed to make him nap properly during the day (he's a very active little chap and hard to settle).
Could it be the same reason your dd wakes up like this? And could it be she goes down so easily at 7pm because she's shattered?

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 04-Oct-09 08:55:40

Our dd experienced night terrors when she was around 18 months old. Nothing we did could bring her out of them IYSWIM. She would be petrified, eyes open but asleep. It sounds like something different to me.
Not sure where you are in Switzerland, I know that there is a sleep clinic in a Luzern hospital, but don't know if they offer a service for children.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now