Talk

Advanced search

Breast Feed baby Sleep at 3 months

(9 Posts)
Kiran25 Fri 02-Oct-09 11:23:16

Hi all mums

I am a new mum and need some advice please

baby Karan is 3 months tomoorow.. he is fully breast fed

I am not sure how long he should be sleeping for at nights..

After his last feed before 1 put him down. i put my alarm 4 hours later 2 wake up and feed him..

I am not sure if i am supposed to be doing this or just let him wake up..

Will he cry if he is hungry or ?? As Karan loves eating his mitten hence im not sure

StealthPolarBear Fri 02-Oct-09 11:29:44

If no other concerns, he's gaining weight OK, plenty of wet and dirty nappies and seems alert when awake I'd just let him sleep until he wakes you! Some people would think he should be sleeping through at this age (not me I'd like to add!)

MrsBadger Fri 02-Oct-09 11:35:45

Polar is spot on - at this age, assuming all else is fine, he will wake you if he is hungry

enjoy the sleep while you can - 4 months is prime growth spurt time...

moaningminniewhingesagain Fri 02-Oct-09 11:38:14

Oh yes if he's happy and healthy, no need to wake him in the night, take as much sleep as he will let you havesmile

My BF DS is 9.5 months and still goes 5 hrs max between feeds in the night, often every three hourssad they sleep longer when they are ready.

Kiran25 Fri 02-Oct-09 11:38:45

Thank you both

cassell Fri 02-Oct-09 11:39:25

As stealthpolarbear says. Unless you have been told by your HV or GP that he needs to be woken to feed then I would let him sleep until he wakes for food - if he's hungry I'm sure he will soon let you know! At 3mths my ds would go 6-7hrs at night without a feed (I was lucky!) but every baby is different.

Kiran25 Fri 02-Oct-09 11:43:39

Cassell

Sometimes in the afternoon he can sleep for about 5 hours but then being a 1st time paranoid mum, i wake him up and feed him..

Perhaps i am still under the impression that babies need to be fed every 3 hours..

God i feel so stupid

cassell Fri 02-Oct-09 11:54:15

Don't feel stupid, it is so hard to know what to do and every baby is completely different (and we all have our different things we get paranoid about) The books may say that babies should feed on a regular routine every 2/3/4hrs or whatever but as many people on here say - babies haven't read the books grin.

So my ds at that age would feed at least every 2hrs in the daytime, more like every hour in the evening but then do 6-7hrs in a stretch. I would just feed him whenever he wanted it.

As long as your baby is healthy, gaining weight well and your hv/gp is happy with him then I'm sure he will wake up to feed when he is hungry. If you are not sure maybe you should ask your hv/gp next time you take him to be weighed? I'm sure they can put your mind at rest.

Kiran25 Fri 02-Oct-09 11:57:07

He is putting on weight fine, got a weighing in session next week.
Thank you for the reassurance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now