Talk

Advanced search

Can my 4 month old (who I have no intention of giving solids yet) sit in a Tripp Trapp for half an hour or so a day?

(23 Posts)
norktasticninja Fri 02-Oct-09 11:16:48

Until recently DS sat in his bouncy chair on the floor next to the table while we ate but now he seems to feel left out. He really enjoys sitting up at the table with us while we have dinner but I'm not too keen on having him on my knee. With two under I have very few moments when I'm not being climbed on or BF...

Would it be bad for him to sit in a tripp trapp with a cushion during the meal? He can't sit independently yet (obviously).

belgo Fri 02-Oct-09 11:19:44

I think he might find it uncomfortable, wait a few weeks until he can support himself better. Babies really need to sit fairly well before they can use a tripp trapp.

FabBakerGirlIsSURVIVED Fri 02-Oct-09 11:20:55

I think it would be too uncomfortable and half an hour is too long imho.

Does he need to sit at the table?

norktasticninja Fri 02-Oct-09 11:25:15

I guess I'll have to leave it a while then and just have him on my knee. He doesn't need to sit up at the table but he seems to enjoy 'joining in' with the meal and general atmosphere at the table, poor thing gets a bit grumpy left out on the floor smile

theDeadPirateRoberts Fri 02-Oct-09 11:27:34

Do you have a larger chair you can wedge his car seat into? Might give you a bit of a break? At this age, we had DS in a stokke, so we could just wheel it up to the table and have him at a good height for 'talking' with.

FlouryBap Fri 02-Oct-09 11:41:32

Can you shove him in a bumbo on the table or on a chair (with arms) next to the table? would be much comfier for him

norktasticninja Fri 02-Oct-09 11:46:32

I've got no other way of getting him up to the table (no Bumbo), I can put his bouncy chair on the table but it takes up loads of room and he can't really see us when he's in it anyway!

BiscuitStuffer Fri 02-Oct-09 15:07:10

No. Half an hour is way too long and I think really he's too young to sit in anything so upright.

Meglet Fri 02-Oct-09 15:17:06

No. TBH I gave up with my 6mo old in the trip trap as he wasn't stable in it, pesky fancy wooden high chairs grin.

norktasticninja Fri 02-Oct-09 15:31:36

I did think he was probably far to young, hence asking rather than just doing it. But, you see so many babies with those bumbo things, so I thought it was worth a check.

We were lucky enough to be given two Tripp Trapps (MIL had a set of 8 which were her dining chairs for years) and I love them. I didn't put DD in one until she was about 9 months though, I had an awful PFBish monster before that.

I've got an Antilop at MILs so I can always bring that home to to use for a while if DS doesn't sit well in the TT at six months. Nothing could possibly be worse for a not-sitting-properly-yet baby than the 'thing' I had for DD at the beginning. It really was ridiculous!

mrsjuan Fri 02-Oct-09 15:34:49

Might be worth looking out for a second hand bumbo - we've found ours excellent. DD also likes joining in with meal times and it's good to pop her in while I have a quick tidy round.

iwantitnow Fri 02-Oct-09 15:49:47

Warning lots of babies hate bumbos and most IME can't sit in them for more than 5-10mins. DS just put in the Tripp Trapp at 6 months but he did sit independently by 22 weeks. Luckily I had a monster highchair from DD's babyhood which I popped him in.

WreckOfTheHesperus Fri 02-Oct-09 15:58:52

Agree with the vote for a bumbo; DD would sit happily on one on top of the table for ages if there were other people sitting up, queen of all she surveyed grin

norktasticninja Fri 02-Oct-09 16:04:46

I don't really get why sitting upright in a bumbo is OK but being well propped up in a TT isn't. I've never seen a baby using a bumbo IRL though, they aren't popular over here.

Surely too young to sit upright is too young to sit upright?

mrsjuan Fri 02-Oct-09 16:31:36

Not sure about trip traps - aren't they quite hard? The bumbos are much softer and moulded and DD seems very happy and comfy. Obviously I wouldn't leave her in there for ages ( half an hour tops) but I don't see it's any different to sitting her up on my lap & she's less likely to get dinner dropped on her!

She's pretty good at sitting up on her own though - happy to sit with me just holding one of her hands (She's 4.5 months).

I appreciate that other babies probably hate bumbos - they're all different after all.

MrsMagnolia Fri 02-Oct-09 16:45:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rowingboat Fri 02-Oct-09 17:16:08

Nork not sure if this would help, but we used a 'First Years' reclinable booster seat with our little boy when he was very small.
He wasn't four months though, probably more like six, but you can strap it to a chair with arms and recline the chair, so they aren't flopping around.
Bumbos - I really wanted to get one, but we put DS in one at Lewis' to see how he reacted and he freaked, just wanted to get out immediately.
The booster seat also lived on the floor on top of a wipe clean mat, quite handy for lunch/snacks/drawing I kind of liked that I didn't worry about him falling out of a high chair, but did have to worry about him escaping.
I do really like Tripp Trapps though, but I suspect four months might be on the young side.

usernametaken Fri 02-Oct-09 21:16:11

DD sat in her Tripp-Trapp from 4months, but she was sitting unaided at 3months. We'd give her spoons to bang and a plate to drop whilst we ate. The padded seat bits stopped DD sliding about.
I'd wait until he is able to sit unaided for 15mins or so before trying him in the Tripp-Trapp.

norktasticninja Fri 02-Oct-09 23:34:18

Thanks everyone! DD didn't sit unaided until about 8 1/2 months. No reason to suspect DS will be any quicker, he hasn't even rolled yet (neither has DD at his age)...

pranma Sun 04-Oct-09 14:53:04

dgs had bumbo from about that age and was very happy sitting in it on the table during family meals.He sat unaided at about 6and a half months-3 months seems incredibly young.

acebaby Sun 04-Oct-09 19:13:11

I'm sure you've thought of this, but please be very careful about putting a bumbo on a high surface. DS1 managed to overturn his (chunky thighs and a lucky lurch) at about this age. Fortunately he was on the floor.

CultureMix Sun 04-Oct-09 21:47:20

DS2 (4 months) is either on my lap, in the Bumbo (on table blush), or also in the swing on the floor. He's not stable enough to sit in TT yet but I expect to put him there around 6 months as I did with DS1 when we start solids and at which point he should hopefully be sitting well on his own.
Note I've never had the TT cushions, don't see the point of them as they will get instantly dirty & covered in food. Baby doesn't need a soft cushion under his bum as he's already got a nappy! Nor the harness as the baby bar is quite sufficient.

malfoy Sun 04-Oct-09 21:53:44

I would recommend buying a second hand high chair like Prima Pappa because they are padded and recline. You can take the tray off so it comes right up to the table.

I hated the bumbo. Hated seing my baby slumped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now