Talk

Advanced search

Does your toddler have little "orgasms"?

(43 Posts)
LissyGlitter Thu 01-Oct-09 23:22:50

My 2.5yo DD sometimes gets so happy her eyes roll back in her head and she kind of shivers for maybe one second or so. You have to grab her when she does it or she would fall backwards. It is very cute, but is it normal?

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 01-Oct-09 23:23:33

I wouldn't call it an orgasm hmm

snice Thu 01-Oct-09 23:24:27

Whatever it is I'm not sure orgasms is the best word to use hmm

snice Thu 01-Oct-09 23:24:57

x-posts BALD

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Thu 01-Oct-09 23:25:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snice Thu 01-Oct-09 23:27:11

Particularly with the username you've got!

FlappyTheBat Thu 01-Oct-09 23:28:10

maybe you should have thought about the wording in your heading before you hit the post button!

LissyGlitter Thu 01-Oct-09 23:28:49

eh? What about the username?

Not really sure what other word to use...the only other one I could think of is "fit" and that doesn't really describe it...

AitchTwoToTangOh Thu 01-Oct-09 23:29:30

why? it may be an orgasm, i can get that feeling (altho' not as intense) if i clench a bit. a child might discover that quite easily.

however, are you sure she doesn't just want to do a pee? both dd's shiver and look distracted when they need the loo, ime.

Quattrocento Thu 01-Oct-09 23:29:32

I was wondering about epilepsy when I read your post.

AitchTwoToTangOh Thu 01-Oct-09 23:29:53

x-post, lissy.

GhostWriter Thu 01-Oct-09 23:30:17

Oh no delete, quickly. Put it down to bad word choice.

Start new thread 'does your toddler shudder with excitement'.

Quick, go...

FlappyTheBat Thu 01-Oct-09 23:31:10

Lissy, gary glitter!!!!

SolidGoldBrass Thu 01-Oct-09 23:33:06

I thought this was going to be a thread about toddler masturbation (yes, some do it, yes, some of them experience something pretty much like an orgasm, no, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them).
FWIW when I was little I had a habit of kind of tensing up and shuddering when happy/excited. Nothing sexual or genitally-involved about it, just a habit. Which I occasionally resort to now but only when alone.

AitchTwoToTangOh Thu 01-Oct-09 23:33:11

i don't think it's a bad word choice, lissy. but i do seem to be in the minority.

LissyGlitter Thu 01-Oct-09 23:34:37

Epilepsy did cross my mind actually. DP had it as a teenager and I was suspected as a child. She does also go off in really strong daydreams, sometime obviously just because she doesn't want to answer a question, but also sometimes she is completely unreachable for a few seconds. But then I did the same apparently, and suffered no ill effects, and DP says that after his experiences he wouldn't make a fuss about the odd short fit.

Although, tbh, I think she just gets so excited about whatever is happening she loses herself for a bit!

GhostWriter Thu 01-Oct-09 23:34:56

Doesn't necessarily bother me either Aitch but the thread will just become a debate about the use of the word instead of answering the question.

DD does do a weird shuddery thing when excited but no eye rolling.

defineme Thu 01-Oct-09 23:36:09

calm down - you are alowed to say orgasm and child in the same sentence yo uknow-it's not illegal.
None of my 3 do this and I'd have a quick word with the health visitor or gp-not an emergency, but just to check.

Tiredmumofdjandbabies Thu 01-Oct-09 23:37:23

interesting title!

RobynLou Thu 01-Oct-09 23:39:17

I'd be a bit worried about them needing catching or they'll fall over

slimeoncrazydemon Thu 01-Oct-09 23:48:49

Message withdrawn

vickiadele Thu 01-Oct-09 23:58:24

could be epilepsy, you should get her checked just in case, it doesnt matter really what the title is , she needs advice not telling off, take her to docs, explain about it then you get peace of mind. My sil had epilepsy when she was younger and dh says it was like you are describing

LissyGlitter Fri 02-Oct-09 00:54:15

So is it not just what little kids do? She does do other things off the epilepsy site I just read as well actually, like the suddenly falling down for no reason. We just put it down to her being a bit dozy tbh. I was the same apparently. But then I must say I thought most of the symptoms on the site were normal people things, like the having the sense a body part was suddenly massive or having a weird smell or taste for no apparent reason.

...but then I am actually officially mental, so I suppose I can't base "normal" on me...

argh, I thought this would just be a thread about kids being a bit odd sometimes!

SolidGoldBrass Fri 02-Oct-09 01:11:03

Actually it could be a mild form of epilepsy - petit mal as opposed to grand mal. ANd there are one or two other (generally benign) things it could be, so best to mention it to HV I would say.

Quattrocento Fri 02-Oct-09 01:53:54

No, Lissy, honestly this is not run-of-the-mill. Neither of mine have ever done what you describe.

Please do get it checked out - sounds very like epilepsy to me (am not epileptic nor am I medically trained in any capacity although I do have a younger cousin with epilepsy). It does sound like petit mal, as SGB says. However I wouldn't just mention it to the HV, best go to your GP.

All best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now