Talk

Advanced search

how to correct DD (age 2.9) saying "mines" instead of "mine"

(15 Posts)
Hoppity Thu 01-Oct-09 13:39:54

DD2 is articulate and it is lovely to hear. But she makes the error of "mines" (presumably based on the model "yours") all the time. How do i correct her? At the mo, I say, "it's mine" back to her and she says, "no, mummy, it's not yours, it's mines"
We can go round in circles like this
No big deal? Time will sort? Or what?

PVish Thu 01-Oct-09 13:40:58

DONT DONT STOP
my ds still calls his cuddly
MinePeter ( or similar wink) as its name and he is 9
we love it

obv he grew out of callign everythign mines as all kids do

IdrisTheDragon Thu 01-Oct-09 13:42:45

Don't worry about it - she will stop doing it some time.

hatwoman Thu 01-Oct-09 13:48:24

cherish it and enjoy it. one day you'll wake up and realise every last little grammatical error like that has vanished. never to be heard again. don't rush the process!

dd use to repeat her prepositions - she though they were part of the verb and the noun (though, obviously she didn't "think" that explicitly). she use to say tumble for table and would wonder into the kitchen with Something Very Important in her hand and say "Put on on tumble".

itsbeingsocheerful Thu 01-Oct-09 13:50:34

You could refuse to give her anything at all, or take anything she refers to in that way off her, until she learns to say it properly

Or then again you could remember she's not even 3 yet and you should be celebrating everything she says. It won't be long before you're having to stop yourself begging her to shut up

AMumInScotland Thu 01-Oct-09 13:53:44

Don't correct her - she's still at the stage of working out what the rules are, working out the odd exceptions will follow later.

So - "yours" "mummys" "daddys" "freds" etc are all correct. Why should "mines" be any different? She's following the rule, which means she's picking up the pattern. She'll learn later that "mine" is different, for no good reason... Just keep using the proper version yourself, but you don't have to correct her version.

seeker Thu 01-Oct-09 13:56:30

My ds is 8, and still very occasionally talks about "cwushions" "mazagines" and " television progrowns" It just makes me melt to hear it!

Love every word she says - she'll be grunting and sneering like a teenager before you know it!

Hoppity Thu 01-Oct-09 14:03:05

Ok
Fair enough!
Will leave well alone.
Issue is that we are bilingual and English is the minority language so I am keen for her to 'speak proper'
Thx for reassuring me that this is age appropriate.
Feel betternow.

cory Thu 01-Oct-09 18:33:47

I recognise myself in this, hoppity. You get like that when you are trying to promote the minority language. I was convinced that ds spoke awful Swedish- dreadful pronunciation, faulty grammar etc, until we went back to Sweden and I heard Swedish children speak. I realised that he was just speaking Swedish like a child.

Hoppity Thu 01-Oct-09 19:39:20

Cory
Thxfor yr feedback
Makes me worried cos I get fair bit of negative feedback from English family 'oh, listen, she says ze instead of the'

I get very defensive
But truth is, I read somewhere that some monolingual English speakers do not pronounce 'th' properly

Try telling that to my mil, tho!

mumofoliver Thu 01-Oct-09 21:02:29

My 2.6 DS says exactly the same thing - usually said with big emphasis. My DH tries to correct him and like you say, they end up going round and round in circles, with DS just about shouting "MINES" as he thinks that Daddy is trying to claim ownership rather than correct him.

I agree with other posters - they will realise in time and not worth it at all

seeker Thu 01-Oct-09 22:16:38

I've just remebered - my dd used to say "MINCE!" (pronounced mynce, not as in mince pie) with huge emphasis. <misty eyed nostalgia emoticon>

mooki Thu 01-Oct-09 22:25:35

We have had mines here too. I like the logic of it.

Dysgu Thu 01-Oct-09 22:33:06

I am not sure we have ever had mines but DD1 (just turned 3 last month) does insist that she can 'do it by my own'.

She also applies past tense verbs - tho doesn't think it through in such terms - so we get lots of saided and goned.

I am a teacher and just love the way her speech is developing. We speak properly to her - so it is great to see/hear how her brain generalises grammatical rules.

And yes, many monolingual English speakers use /f/ instead of /th/ so try not to worry when MIL goes on about it.

Moontheloon Fri 02-Oct-09 13:15:54

Mine says mines, actually I think it is showing an understanding of how language works rather than just repeating what had been heard.

I quite like mines smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now