Talk

Advanced search

5 month old head control

(5 Posts)
Mooncupflowethover Mon 28-Sep-09 22:30:56

Just looking for some reassurance/advice really. My 5 month old does not have great head control. If he lies on his tummy he can hold his head up for around 10 seconds and then flops down, he'll lift it again for a few seconds and then flops down again. This goes on for about 5-10 mins until he gives up and screams with his head down.

Sitting in a walker he's ok, if a little wobbly, ditto his door bouncer. He hasn't had a great deal of tummy time due to a rampaging 2 year old brother.

Is his head control within the range of normal, or should I be concerned. I'm planning to take him to the Doc's this week to see what he has to say...

Has anyone else's DC been like this?

whomovedmychocolate Mon 28-Sep-09 22:45:24

Up till about nine months their head weighs quite a bit more than their body. Have you ever been really tired, too tired to hold your head up straight. That's what it's like to a little baby all the time. He sounds normal.

notasausage Wed 30-Sep-09 18:41:29

My DD was like that at 5 months when on her tummy, by 6 months she was sitting unaided and it all quickly came together after that. I wouldn't be worried

ibangthedrums Thu 01-Oct-09 09:07:15

I posted a similar thread about my 6 month old's strength! I am hoping that as we have both posted it means that it is common and there is nothing wrong!

Mooncupflowethover Sat 03-Oct-09 22:33:01

I read your thread IBTDrums, it's always reassuring to know that others have similar DC's. I'm pretty sure, after reading info on the net, that their head control/ strength is still within the range of normal. It just worries me when other peoples DC's seem much more advanced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now