Talk

Advanced search

Thread for mummies of late crawlers/walkers

(14 Posts)
dizzee Mon 28-Sep-09 21:06:47

My DS is 11 months old and doesn't really crawl, cruise or pull-up yet. I'm trying not to worry about it too much as he is making (slow) progress, but it is difficult not be a totally paranoid new mummy!

Anyone else out there with equally slow-coach babies?

Bibithree Mon 28-Sep-09 21:09:14

My dts didn't walk until 22 months. Combination of them being twins and born early. They didn't crawl until 17m. Both are prefectly happy toddling around now though.

It is V hard not to worry, we had ours referred to physio etc, but they discharged them pretty much straight away. Some babies are just slower than other.

I would say if you do get very concerned, start asking questions with HV though.

Rosebud05 Mon 28-Sep-09 21:15:00

My dd didn't do any of those things at 11 months (and nor did lots of other babies that I know). She began bum shuffling at about a year and eventually walked at 16 months, but never crawled. As others say, ask the hv if you're worried but I'm sure that she'll get there!

annamama Tue 29-Sep-09 12:44:56

Don't worry! I'm sure he's doing lots of other things? DD crawled at about 12 months and then quickly progressed to walk at 14. I didn't walk until 17 months but I was extremely early with language... Babies are just good at different things. Having said that, I was worried too, tried to "teach" DD to crawl, but she just got annoyed... don't bother!

rabbitstew Tue 29-Sep-09 12:52:43

My ds1 could sit up if put in that position at 11 months, but still couldn't even roll over, let alone perform any other moving-about tricks. He did walk at 23 months, with the help of physiotherapy. You wouldn't know any of that if you saw him now at 5 and a half, unless you saw how unpleasantly far the wrong way he can bend all his joints. Ds2 was also loose jointed, which also made him later than average at crawling, cruising and walking, but still well within normal ranges - he crawled from about 10 months and took up walking full time at 17 months. Your ds doesn't sound as though he has any real problems, if he's making progress, albeit slow - my ds1 made no progress whatsoever until he got a metaphorical kick up the backside from the physio when he was nearly 16 months old. I know quite a few mums whose ds's didn't crawl or cruise until they were about 12 months old, and none of their dd's and ds's needed help to get to that point (nor indeed to get to the point of walking).

If you are happy with your ds's development in all other respects, I think it's too early for you to worry - he's not abnormally late. If he still avoids weight bearing on his legs at about a year old, I think most HVs and GPs would be willing to get this checked out, if you are still concerned.

mummytowillow Tue 29-Sep-09 21:09:42

My daughter didn't move an inch until she was about 13 months, she didn't roll over or pull herself up, she then bum shuffled, then when she was 18 months she walked and hasn't stopped since! wink

I was worried and went to see a paeditrician and she said there was nothing wrong with her!

NigellaTufnel Tue 29-Sep-09 21:22:46

My ds didn't crawl at all until 12 months, and then didn't walk until 19.

It's horrible to be scared that there's something wrong.
Please don't worry.

But it will be hard going to the playpark seeing kids who are much much younger than yours walking a tightrope or whatever, and their mothers being very nice, but sometimes a bit condescending.

BrightonMama Tue 29-Sep-09 21:53:46

Don't worry - although it's so hard not to compare. My DS didn't move at all at 11 months, not even roll over! When he was about a year old he eventually progressed to a very ungainly commando where he dragged himself along using one arm and leg, and finally crawled when he was 13 months. He's now nearly 17 months and has only just started taking a few tentative steps. Now I'm worried that he's not talking, it never ends!

junojo Tue 29-Sep-09 21:55:22

My DD has just started to walk unaided at 25 months (just on time for baby 2s arrival). She bottom shuffled at 12 months and only started standing at 22 months.

Her milestones in other areas were spot-on so I tried to relax about it all as I myself was a late walker. Not so easy when everyone is asking after her walking all the time. She did have some physio to help her on her way.

So don't worry your DS is not alone. Perhaps mention it at your next HV check.

wheresmypaddle Tue 29-Sep-09 22:13:14

DS crawled at 13 months, managed to roll over at 14 months and walked at 15 months. He is now 2.5 and has caught up with his friends in terms of physical stuff. He began talking quite early though so maybe there is some truth in the idea that they tend to learn some things at the expense of others.

He is a big broad boy and my HV felt he needed time to build up the strength to move himself - charming!! I wasn't sure about that theory but she seemed convinced.

I was a little concerned but really try not to worry and talk to your GP or HV if you need reassurance.

dizzee Wed 30-Sep-09 19:41:29

Thanks all - glad to hear he's not the only slow-coach! He does do a kind of awkward commando crawl (using his legs, but only one arm) and he can now support himself on all fours. He's also very happy to stand holding on, but he's not yet prepared to move his feet. He is learning new things all the time, so I'm trying not to worry too much. It just makes me a little sad to see all the other babies at nursery crawling around whilst he just sits there.

babyjane67 Thu 08-Oct-09 20:37:19

my yr old dd doesnt crawl or walk either but she does get herself round by dragging on her front.shes just started2use1leg2push herself bit quicker!onlt started sitting herself up since turning1lst wk.dp didnt walk til he was2so we not2worried bout it.they all do their "milestones"when they're ready.

cory Thu 08-Oct-09 21:06:12

Feel a bit torn if I should post on this or not.

I was a bit worried when dd did not walk until 19 months and then, like the other posters, felt very reassured ('see! they all do it in their own time!') and a bit silly, as she seemed to have caught up with her friends, so felt a fool to have worried.

And then she started developing joint problems when she was around 7- so there was something to worry about after all. Not terribly serious but she does need to use a wheelchair intermittently and probably always will, and she does have chronic pain. Not saying this is very common.

Karoleann Thu 08-Oct-09 22:19:36

DS1 didn't crawl til 10.5 months, yet walked at 12 months (he didn't really cruise either, just got up and walked one day!). DS2 crawling at 11.5 months, then got the cruising thing quickly too. He started walking about 5 weeks ago - so just before 14 months.
I wouldn't worry x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now