Talk

Advanced search

DD, 2.9 yrs old was potty trained. Now, suddenly isn't. PLEASE HELP!

(7 Posts)
SydneyB Mon 28-Sep-09 19:58:52

I am at my wits end here. DD, has been potty-trained for last 3 months. It took her a week or so to get the hang of it but once she did, we didn't look back. Until now! I went back to work after a year off maternity leave with DS about 3 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure her weeing and pooeing everywhere must relate to this massive change in her life. We have a wonderful nanny but even so I know its probably a tough time for DD so I want to handle this carefully. She definitely knows when/how to go and some days she's fine all day but then the following day it feels like we change her 6 times. Anyone got any tips? Ignore? Stickers? Back into pull-ups? Wait it out?

gigglewitch Mon 28-Sep-09 20:07:40

I think a lot of them do this... try not to worry.

I reckon bribery stickers and reward things work best, and make minimal fuss of "accidents". I'd be trying to avoid going back to pull-up's if she's been dry for three months, maybe go shopping for tiny little nappies for the baby, let the 'big girl' buy them for the little baby etc (exaggerate as you see fit) Has she got a baby doll that she can have doll-size nappies to change as well? We've had to change nappies on bears as a means to getting small dses to go to the toilet regularly hmm - the likes of which I'm sure you don't have the energy for. Maybe try saying when you change baby's nappy "but you're a clever girl and you go to the toilet (in this instance I'd avoid the word "big" etc as it causes a rebellion in my house)grin
Also a lot of attention, which you're probably already doing, in terms of reading to her when you sit to feed baby ds, stuff like that. In our house new babies got minimal attention blush so that the older one didn't feel the need to compete.

neolara Mon 28-Sep-09 20:18:33

You are not the only one!

My ds "got" potty training in a day. Had virtually no accidents in a month. Then he dropped his nap and we had a new baby and suddenly he is weeing all over the place.

I've put him back in pull ups and am planning to wait a month or so and then try again. I don't know if this is the answer for you, but it has taken a great deal of stress out of the equation at a time when we are all having to adjust to a new situation.

Good luck.

Surfermum Mon 28-Sep-09 20:25:19

Is there any chance it might be a urine infection? Whenever this happened with dd it was an infection or she was red/sore around her bits.

SydneyB Mon 28-Sep-09 20:46:15

Oh thanks for replies. Don't know if it can be an infection as she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and some days she has no accidents and the next loads!

linserella Mon 28-Sep-09 21:33:16

i posted a similar thread these last few days re poos in pants after being potty trained, it'll still be up. there was no obvious trigger for my DD but i felt very strongly that this was a protest of sorts for attention, good you can identify the trigger for yours. Sticker chart / rewards was recommended along with NOT reacting when they have an accident (not always easy!). It has worked INSTANTLY with us and she is now very happy to be going on the toilet and choosing her sticker to stick on - amazing! We made the chart together and she decorated with her colouring pens etc and chose which stickers to use. It's all about TIME and attention I can see now, which i obviously haven't been giving her enough of, i work too [guilt emoticon]

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Mon 28-Sep-09 21:38:38

Check whether it is an infection. They can test nappies as they did it with DD, otherwise when this happened we stuck DD back in pull ups for a week but before that was up she was asking to have them off. Also I know it is very easy to say but don't show her that you are anxious/upset/ etc as that really mucked it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now