Talk

Advanced search

Please Help! DD, just 6, has BO.......

(6 Posts)
VirginiaWoolf Fri 25-Sep-09 17:17:15

We noticed in the summer that when DD ran around a lot and got hot, there was a strangely adult sweaty smell (tbh I initially blamed my Dsis shock !) Since then we've encouraged her (DD, not Dsis) to be extra careful about washing, she has a bath or shower every day without fail and scrubs her armpits clean, and she has clean clothes every day - yet if she's been hot, so warm day like today or especially if she's had PE at school, there is a real pong. Don't know what to do - desperate for her peers not to notice and label her, but can she really use deodorant at this age? She was only 6 in July, it doesn't seem right.....

trefusis Fri 25-Sep-09 17:20:45

Message withdrawn

VirginiaWoolf Fri 25-Sep-09 17:25:16

Thank you Trefusis - comforting to hear that this has happened to other girls at a similar age - we were really shocked the first time it happened. You're absolutely right, I am also worrying about the potential for early puberty.

Did your dd1 like/accept/resent using the crystal deodorant?

Sidge Fri 25-Sep-09 17:25:32

My DD2 started getting whiffy at the age of 4.5 despite daily baths and hairwashing. We see a consultant paediatrician (as she has SN and medical needs) who said antiperspirant was fine to use even in children.

I use a fragrance free one which does the job.

She was also getting spotty so I panicked and thought she was going into precocious puberty but the paed reassured us that it's not uncommon and as long as there is no pubic hair, bleeding, breast growth etc then it's just normal adrenal stuff and not to worry.

trefusis Fri 25-Sep-09 17:32:21

Message withdrawn

VirginiaWoolf Fri 25-Sep-09 18:24:23

Thanks Trefusis and Sidge.
Hmm, we're going to have to sort an antipersperant/deodorant methinks. Trying to decide how to approach it with her - perhaps just casual 'this is what you need now you're six' - will try to avoid, "We've noticed that you smell....." shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now