Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bought bigger grobags - have I wasted my money?

(22 Posts)
Besom Thu 24-Sep-09 14:05:50

I've just bought size 18-36 mth grobags for dd as she is about to grow out of her current ones and I was ordering something else so I thought I might as well.

But it now occurs to me that I might not get too much use out of them. Do dc's asking to use a duvet and at what age? I notice on here some people move them to duvets at around 18 - 20 months but does anyone's dc still use the grobags as an older toddler? Are they a pita when they move to a bed?

Besom Thu 24-Sep-09 14:07:10

I mean 'do dc's start asking to use a duvet'!

BornToFolk Thu 24-Sep-09 14:10:32

DS is still in a grobag and he's nearly two. I'll keep him in it until he grows out of it (it's 18-36months but he's big, so I doubt it'll last that long)

Then I plan to do what some genius MNer told me to - use a single duvet but lengthwise across the bed tucked in firmly at both sides so he can't kick it off and get cold in the night.

nondomesticgoddess Thu 24-Sep-09 14:16:10

I got two big gro-bags for dd to use - she was too big for the small ones and not yet ready for a bed. I will do the same with ds.

Dd didn't ask for a duvet, it just came naturally with the bed. I didn't try and use anything other than a gro-bag in the cot.

I like the duvet sideways tip though!

louloubelle Thu 24-Sep-09 14:25:45

I have just bought the 3-6 yo ones for my 3 1/2 yo son...he is happy in his cot!

PurpleEglu Thu 24-Sep-09 14:27:11

I have DS2 (2.1) in the 18-36 month ones. I plan to keep him in them when he moves to a bed in the next few weeks.

Seona1973 Thu 24-Sep-09 14:34:30

ds was in his till he was 2 1/2 - he came out of it when he went into a big bed.

juneybean Thu 24-Sep-09 14:55:31

My charge grew out of her smaller one earlier this year but now the cold weather is back we're trying to find a new one, as she's not sleeping well when she kicks her duvet off.

Kiddies don't always understand they can just pull the duvet back on and so end up all cold!!

NellyTheElephant Thu 24-Sep-09 17:16:29

DD1 was in a grobag until over 2 and a half - even though she was in a bed (she was quite capable of getting on and off the bed in it and pottering around the room in sack race mode). She didn't want a duvet, in fact it was quite a battle to get her to use one eventually. With DD2 I swapped to a duvet at around 19 months when she went into a bed, but in retrospect I think it worked better staying in the grobag and I think that's what I'l do with DS, DD2 regularly managed to kick the duvet off despite firm tucking in and would then wake up cold and grumpy.....

Besom Fri 25-Sep-09 07:20:57

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep her in the grobags for as long as we can. Had been thinking she might not be able to use it in a big bed but Nelly's doing the sack race made me laugh!

Romanarama Fri 25-Sep-09 07:28:45

I find that they rarely keep the duvets on anyway, even when much bigger. I put all mine in all-in-one fleece sleepsuits from mothercare when it's cold. I remember keeping with the grobags until ds1 learned to throw himself over the side of the cot in it, and shuffle along the floor. Then I decided he'd be safer with the use of his legs!

flimflammum Fri 25-Sep-09 07:37:56

MY DS was still happily in his (and a cotbed) at 3. slightly blush

llareggub Fri 25-Sep-09 08:12:07

I have several concerns about keeping an older child in a grobag. Firstly there is the safety aspect: the image of a child jumping around the bedroom is funny but not so much in the dark when it could be quite dangerous. Secondly, what happens when the child is ready to lose the nappy?

My DS has been in a bed and duvet since he was 12 months. He was a climber so seemed the safest thing to do. He doesn't get cold at night, his duvet normally stays on. He is also dry at night and sometimes wakes up to use the loo. He is 3 next month and this is something he would not have been able to do with a grobag. It is also something he started doing himself without prompting from me.

Personally I think you should think again. We had no problems moving from grobags and I think it is because we did it early enough.

pippel Fri 25-Sep-09 08:19:33

my dd is 5 and she still gets me up saying her quilts fallen off. I used fleecy all in ones when she was younger now I cant get them to fit.

So dd2 will be in them as long as possible, Ive seen them up to age 10 wink

CatIsSleepy Fri 25-Sep-09 08:32:17

dd was in cot and grobag til 2.8, then bed and grobag for another couple of months. i think keeping the grobag eased the bed transition. we switched to duvet around the time she was ready to go nappy-free at night.

Eyeballls Fri 25-Sep-09 08:36:40

DD (20 months) was in grobags until it got warmer. Just bought a new one for the winter and she won't have anything to do with it, despite it having Upsy Daisy on it hmm. She sleeps in our bed so slightly different situation with duvets etc as we keep our heavy one off her so I'm going to invest in fleecy sleepsuits as well.

My niece was in a grobag till well gone three and no issues at all, she was well able to walk around in it.

MrsMagnolia Fri 25-Sep-09 10:00:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Orissiah Fri 25-Sep-09 13:34:07

But llaregub has a point - what do you do if they need the loo?

LionstarBigPants Fri 25-Sep-09 13:39:24

Yep, our gro-bag bit the dust at about 2 when she went dry at night. PJs so much easier. We switched to a duvet tucked in, she does kick it off, but tends to be a hot sleeper, so rarely notices.

Besom Fri 25-Sep-09 13:59:44

DD not a cot climber. She isn't even walking yet at 17 months so I think we're a way off the big bed yet. I don't feel psychologically ready for it myself anyway!

Yes, from the posts it would seem to depend on the child so I'll cross these bridges when I come to them.

Romanarama Fri 25-Sep-09 18:59:20

Dry at night at 2 must be quite unusual though.

daisy71 Fri 25-Sep-09 19:36:45

[http://www.bumpto3.com/category.aspx?DISPLAYCAT=sleep&CAT=Products&CATGRY=Beddingsets_andduvets]

Hi, we used one of these (above) in the transition from grobag to quilt. DD was always cosy, and I knew she'd be nice and warm all night. They are expensive, but I got mine in Argos on special offer.
I now put her in all in one sleepsuits (like a baby) when it's really cold- haven't had to use one this year yet but have just purchased this one from Mothercare-she calls it her 'cosy' and its lovely and toasty warm.

[http://www.mothercare.com/Peppa-Pig-Walk-In-Sleeper/dp/B002HSYVTY/sr=1-5/qid=1253903733/ ref=sr15/276-9123009-7303650?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44478031&mcb=core]

She will come downstairs and have brekky in it in the dead of winter too. It has foot grips so it's safe. Have seen them in adult size too-mm now there's a thought....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now